[Vision2020] Academic Accreditation and New St. Andrews College

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:16:07 -0800

Hi Dr. Gier,

Thanks for the analysis, but I think we have simply been confused.  We've
been looking at the wrong academic excellence & accreditation standards!
Silly us ;-)

NSA *is* accredited by the Association of Classical & Christian Schools
(ACCS), FWIW.  This apparently happened in June, 1998.  That's not the kind
of accreditation I'd be looking for in an institution of higher learning,
but hey . . . that's just me and I'm quite pleased with the education I
received at the UI  :-)

There's all kinds of ACCS information available online
(http://www.accsedu.org/) and from Cannon Press (an ACCS affiliate member,
of course).  I've not wanted to shell out the money for their Accreditation
Handbook (for all I know, perhaps it only applied to primary and secondary
schools), but I did find some enlightening information online in their FAQ
section:
http://www.accsedu.org/pageview.asp?PageID=5421
"Q: Do I need a degree in education to teach in a classical Christian
school? Are there any degrees I should pursue, books I should read, or
programs I should participate in that would make me a better teacher in the
future?

A: A degree in education is NOT required by most ACCS schools. ***Most
colleges and universities teach was is antithetical to a Biblical view of
education, so it would not be time well invested.*** It would require you to
unlearn much of what you learned in college to be able to teach in a
classical and Christian school.  This is not to say that a person with such
a degree would not be hired, but such an education is not necessarily viewed
as a plus. <snip>
[Note:  emphasis is mine.  There's obviously a typo in the emphasized
sentence, but I think the meaning is still clear, typo and all.  SL]

Q: Will classical and Christian schools hire someone with a teaching degree?
Do I need a masters degree before I can teach?

A: Most classical and Christian schools will hire someone with or without a
teaching degree. There are a few ACCS schools that are looking for folks
with PhD after their name, but a PhD ( or a Master's degree) is not an
indicator that someone can teach. Degrees may be beneficial in demonstrating
your depth of knowledge in your subject, and it is not discouraged, but it
is not essential for being able to teach in most ACCS schools."

And, of course, essential reading includes:
Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Doug Wilson
Repairing the Ruins edited by Doug Wilson
The Case for Classical Christian Education by Doug Wilson

Once we know which "standard" NSA had followed, I think that goes far to
address your list of concerns  ;-)

Of course, that doesn't address Dean Atwood's lack of clarity in his Letter
to the Editor.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.