[Vision2020] Smells like freedom

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:44:26 -0800

Mike tells us:

>But invariably doing your own thing means leaving the things that were
>wholesome and beautiful and wonderful and trading them in on something
>false
>and selfish. And so the Israelites became decedent and evil. They said
>right
>was wrong and good was bad. They said and did whatever they thought they
>ought to do with no thought about what God had in mind.
>
>After a few years of this, God gave them over to the lusts of their hearts
>and minds and they sinned until it stunk up the place. Finally, God grew
>tired of this outright rebellion and turned the nation over to their
>enemies. In each case foreign nations came in and destroyed the nation of
>Israel, carting off their women, destroying their cities, enslaving their
>people.

So, what's the message here?  Do what God says or he'll kill you?  You'll
excuse me if I find that unappealing.  Nevertheless, I want to thank you,
Mike, for so ably illustrating the absolute necessity for freedom of
religion.  You can believe this, and I'll believe . . . something else.

It might surprise you to learn that I am quite familiar with the Bible,
particularly the King James Version.  It features some glaring inaccuracies
in translation, but it's also quite pretty in places.  I especially like the
psalms.  I do not, however, take the KJV Bible, or any other Bible, for the
literal and unerring word of God.  I choose instead to make room for my own
intuition.  And I'm free to do that, just as you're free to believe that the
Bible is clear, consistent, and error-free.

It's all a matter of faith, isn't it?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: I wonder which sins are the smelliest?  I mean, what would I have to do
-- eat beans, stop changing my socks, switch to one of those deoderant
crystals -- to really stink up the place?  Living my life as I see fit, in
accordance with my own beliefs and conscience, and recognizing that everyone
else is free to do the same; that smells pretty sweet to me.

Get dial-up Internet access now with our best offer: 6 months @$9.95/month!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup