[Vision2020] The Lewiston Morning Tribune Article on Irving

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:27:13 GMT

Holocaust denier sounds off despite restaurant's brush-off; David Irving speaks
to small group in Moscow

David Johnson
MOSCOW -- Holocaust denier David Irving was served with no-trespassing papers
here Tuesday evening after a local restaurant manager refused to give the
controversial British World War II historian a place to meet and sell books.

Irving, who arrived in a white rental vehicle on a tour of Western states,
protested when he was denied access to the Mark IV Motor Inn Restaurant and
Lounge and then moved his gathering to the Hampton Inn across town.

A sign in the Hampton Inn lobby read: "Welcome Par Force U.K. Limited."

About a dozen people were in attendance, and Irving invited the Lewiston
Tribune to cover his talk.

"It's very silly, really," he said of repeated attempts by his critics to foil
his appearances. He apparently had space reserved at both sites in Moscow. But
Moscow Police Capt. David Duke confirmed late Tuesday afternoon that a Mark IV
employee had requested assistance to ensure that Irving remained off the
property. The business closed early to ensure against any problems.

"I wish this had never happened," said Jeff Cheser, manager and co-owner of the
Mark IV. "He was trying to pull a fast one on us."

Word of Irving's scheduled visit to Moscow was first reported a few weeks ago.
He had made a similar stop on the Palouse in 1998 when he held a meeting in
Pullman. His pending arrival here became the subject of much talk Monday on
Vision 2020, a local computer bulletin board. A report of the Mark IV venue
then leaked out and Cheser, when told of the situation, said he knew nothing
about Irving.

By Tuesday afternoon, Cheser said he'd been receiving calls about the meeting
and decided to close the business rather than deal with Irving and the
potential conflicts that seem to follow him. Duke said Irving was served with
the no trespassing notice without further incident.

The Lewiston Tribune later learned of his arrival at the Hampton Inn. Inside,
he had books, tapes and CDs -- virtually all pertaining to his historical views
of war. Irving is best known for his books "Hitler's War" and "Churchill's
War." In both, he disputes much of mainstream history, particularly the
Holocaust, contending that it never happened. Once recognized by mainstream
publishers, he said no one will touch his books anymore. So he self-publishes
his tomes.

"Everywhere I go, there are attempts to silence me," he said. He said he's been
denied entry into almost every country except the United States. "The one thing
they don't want to do is debate me, because I have a lot of answers."

One of the biggest misnomers, said Irving, is the way his politics are
characterized. "I don't know why I'm described as right wing," he told those in
attendance. In fact, he said, he questions everything about America's
involvement in Iraq and suggests that all of the Bush administration' reasons
for going and staying in Iraq are blatant falsehoods or lies.

"The weapons (of mass destruction) don't exist, let's face it," said
Irving. "George Bush can't even say nuclear." He also dismissed the
administration's other war rationales -- that Saddam Hussein is evil, that the
regime needed to be changed, and that the war is about fighting terrorism -- as
ploys to mask the real reason: to get a geo-political foothold in the Middle
East.

Standing before his listeners with his books piled around him on tables, Irving
warned that Saddam and other Iraqi leaders have borrowed from the history of
war by allowing the United States to virtually race its way into Baghdad. He
said a trap was set and the battlefield is now staged for a lengthy and bloody
insurgency. He predicted that the attacks on American troops will steadily
increase despite the capture of Saddam.

"You thought you had a victory." But what people fail to understand, said
Irving, is that Iraq is surrounded by friendly countries because they all have
a common enemy -- America and Israel.

As of press time, Moscow police said there were no more reports of problems
involving Irving.

           http://www.fsr.net/