[Vision2020] Water Meeting on Monday

Jon Kimberling jon@n-k-ins.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:06:50 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_020C_01C3C314.AF7887E0

Not so Bill. This last year our tax base grew. We increased the budget =
slightly over the prior year but your Moscow tax rate went down. I =
posted this chart on v2020 not that long ago.

Again, if the tax base can not expand and the demand for services =
increases, taxes will go up or services will have to be cut. That is =
just one reason why a small amount of growth is a must.

Jon
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: bill london=20
  To: Jon Kimberling=20
  Cc: John Dickinson ; Vision2020=20
  Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 1:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Water Meeting on Monday

  I think that Jon Kimberling has it backwards. =20
  He explains in the message below: "Any limitation on our ability to =
grow will negatively impact our ability to hold the line on tax =
increases."
  He says we need to grow to keep taxes down.  That is exactly =
backwards.  It is the growing, with the necessary expansion of services, =
that brings higher taxes.  More housing subdivisions, more city staff, =
more expansion of infrastructure, more new firestations, etc etc.  =
That's in addition to the increased traffic and other hassles.....
  BL

  Jon Kimberling wrote:

    I thank John for his comments and agree that tonight is the time for =
us to come together in support of solving this critical problem. =
However, I would like to respond to his comments about my earlier =
statements.

    There is a very delicate balance between growth and preservation of =
resources. Over that last year, on more than one occasion, we have heard =
representatives of the water coalition talk about different types of =
moratoriums. Most recently, two of the most prominent members of these =
groups appeared before the Planning & Zoning Commission. The occasion =
was the request to annex and develop property south of Joseph Street, =
east of White Avenue and north of Ridgeview Drive. Excerpts from the =
minutes of the 11/12/03 meeting are as follows:

    Therefore, "French thinks it would be ill advised to grant =
annexation or additional subdivisions (not just this one in particular) =
until the City has defined plans for future water supply".

    Solomon stated  "at this point it would be reckless to approve =
developments.......=20

    Their position on this request was clearly "no growth". The P & Z =
voted unanimously in support of the development.

    As to the request to Idaho Dept. of Water Resources, it does state =
"impose a moratorium on the processing and approval of all pending and =
new applications for permits to appropriate water.......... City staff =
advises that their interpretation of this request is that anyone who =
wanted to drill a new well would not be permitted to do so. Staff was =
aware of at least two such applications currently pending. If the groups =
who filed the petition have a different interpretation than City staff, =
it would seem important to clarify this question.=20

    In addition, right now approximately 60% of the water from our =
aquifers is being pumped out by our neighbors across the border. Pullman =
recently approved a new sub-division. We know from a recent report from =
the City of Moscow that average water use for Pullman/WSU is higher than =
Moscow/UI. I'm curious to know if any representatives of the water =
coalition were present at the meeting in Pullman? Did they make the same =
request to stop development in Pullman that they did on 11/12 in Moscow? =

    In hindsight, it would have been more useful to the discussion if I =
would have posed this question: how would the coalition proposal limit =
development and constrain the growth of our tax base? One constant theme =
I've heard over the course of the last year is that our taxes are high =
enough. Any limitation on our ability to grow will negatively impact our =
ability to hold the line on tax increases.=20

    I have the same goal of stabilizing our groundwater but doing it in =
a way that has the least negative impact on our local economy. I believe =
the suggestion of any type of moratorium, at this point, is premature. I =
agree with Dale Ralston's comment at the 6/23/03 meeting wherein he =
stated "declaration of a critical ground water area hasn't been a =
solution in any area of the state".

    Jon Kimberling

      ----- Original Message -----=20