[Vision2020] SADDAM HUSSEIN CAPTURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Duffau pduffau@adelphia.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:20:27 -0800

--=====================_389271366==_.ALT

Tom,

While I agree with the sentiments you expressed, I think that you are
overly optimistic.  With the capture of Hussein, a major organizing force
for the "insurgents" has been removed but that still leaves a second force,
the terrorists that have been flowing to Iraq untouched.  We will see
increasingly sophisticated terrorist attacks aimed at weakening the resolve
our citizens rather than "winning" militarily.

An Iraqi government should be up and running by June, 2004.  I expect a
reduced US presence until 2006 at a minimum.  Establishment of a stable
(Muslim) democracy is critically important to US interests in the region as
an incubus to the region as a whole.  I do view democracy (more accurately,
a representative republic) as a superior form of government in that it has
demonstrated a greater ability to deliver freedom, equality and peace than
any system currently in use (that I know of). While there is an established
democracy in Israel, religious differences prevent it from ever becoming a
model for Muslim nations - quite the reverse, actually.

It is also critically important that Hussein be tried by Iraqi courts as a
trial by US forces would simply be a "show" trial in the eyes of the
majority of Middle Eastern citizens.  With a successfully trial of Hussein
(in my eyes, guilty and executed), I expect that additional information
will be forth coming on WMD provided that prosecution of former officials
is severely circumscribed.  My expectation is that, consistent with news
reports (NYT & Wash. Post) prior to re-commencement of hostilities, a
considerable portion of Iraqi WMD were transferred to Syria and are both
unrecoverable and a continuing threat to world peace.

I'll apologize now for being unduly pessimistic on a day that has brought
very good news.  I will be quite cheerful to be proven wrong by future events.

Paul Duffau

At 07:01 AM 12/14/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Thank God ! !
>
>Now that Saddam has been apprehended, those Iraqi people that feared him
>will speak up and a true Iraqi government (consisting of Iraqi citizens)
>can be formed, thus allowing for the return of our troops.  This may not
>occur as quickly as Christmas, but certainly our troops should be home for
>Easter.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Bring 'em home,
>
>Tom Hansen
>Moscow, Idaho

--=====================_389271366==_.ALT

Tom,<br>
While I agree with the sentiments you expressed, I think that you are
overly optimistic.&nbsp; With the capture of Hussein, a major organizing
force for the &quot;insurgents&quot; has been removed but that still
leaves a second force, the terrorists that have been flowing to Iraq
untouched.&nbsp; We will see increasingly sophisticated terrorist attacks
aimed at weakening the resolve our citizens rather than
&quot;winning&quot; militarily.<br>
An Iraqi government should be up and running by June, 2004.&nbsp; I
expect a reduced US presence until 2006 at a minimum.&nbsp; Establishment
of a stable (Muslim) democracy is critically important to US interests in
the region as an incubus to the region as a whole.&nbsp; I do view
democracy (more accurately, a representative republic) as a superior form
of government in that it has demonstrated a greater ability to deliver
freedom, equality and peace than any system currently in use (that I know
of).  While there is an established democracy in Israel, religious
differences prevent it from ever becoming a model for Muslim nations -
quite the reverse, actually.&nbsp; <br>
It is also critically important that Hussein be tried by Iraqi courts as
a trial by US forces would simply be a &quot;show&quot; trial in the eyes
of the majority of Middle Eastern citizens.&nbsp; With a successfully
trial of Hussein (in my eyes, guilty and executed), I expect that
additional information will be forth coming on WMD provided that
prosecution of former officials is severely circumscribed.&nbsp; My
expectation is that, consistent with news reports (NYT &amp; Wash. Post)
prior to re-commencement of hostilities, a considerable portion of Iraqi
WMD were transferred to Syria and are both unrecoverable and a continuing
threat to world peace.<br>
I'll apologize now for being unduly pessimistic on a day that has brought
very good news.&nbsp; I will be quite cheerful to be proven wrong by
future events.<br>
Paul Duffau<br>
&nbsp;<br>
At 07:01 AM 12/14/03 -0800, you wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Iraqi people that feared him will speak up and a true Iraqi government
(consisting of Iraqi citizens) can be formed, thus allowing for the
return of our troops.&nbsp; This may not occur as quickly as Christmas,
but certainly our troops should be home for Easter.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Moscow, Idaho<blockquote><font face="tahoma" size=2>
<dl>
<dd>-----Original Message-----</blockquote>
</dl><br>