[Vision2020] Climate

Jerry Owen owenjerry@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:37:10 +0000

I sent this yesterday but it didn't go through.

Amy,

Collegiate Reformed Fellowship (CRF) is the campus ministry of
Christ Church.  I say 'we' because the four guys who went, not me,
went to do what some might call build a bridge, in hope of
friendship and community amidst and environment that has previously
hostile.  Hostile means GSA members yelling and cursing at us while
we pass out flyers.  And, yes, that was the only goal, not to
subvert or take over in scheme.

At the Town Meeting last night, questions such as 'How do those of us in the
gay and lesbian community feel when Wilson is quoted as
saying that there are alternatives to death as punishment for
homosexuality . . . exile' were shown to be false because they were
taken out of context and slanderous---those who went, agreed on
this.  Similarly, the guys at the Gay Straight Alliance were asked
about their stance on homosexuality.  They didn't offer it: 'Hi, I
think homosexuality is sinful.'  But when they were asked what they
believe, they responded responded honestly without malice.

As Remington and Chris, two cordial members of the GSA, informed me
last night, some people in the GSA feel offended and unsafe when
people give such convictions.  I understand their feeling: Christian
Churches and students are minority groups (imagine the ads and cartoons
taken against a Muslim or Jew as they are against
Christians and Christ Church).   What I don't understand, is how
people who claim commitment to tolerance and diversity rationalize
booting people out, not because they were obnoxious or disruptive, but
because they have a different religion, opinion, however you
want to cast it.  It's fine if others can't come, but abandon the
charade of diversity.  It reminds of Mencken's quip on anything
against current (yet ever anew) orthodoxy:

'It is not only erroneous to think thus; it has come to be
immoral....  For an American to question any of the articles of
fundamental faith cherished by the majority is for him to run grave
risks of social disaster.'

Hence Nick Gier and the Not in Our Town yawning campaign.  For some, we
can't be Christians and live here.

I appreciate your comments and am interested in further dialogue as
the gentlemen from the GSA also expressed last night.  Lets set
something up.  For those who want to continue the name calling and
divisiveness, post on!

Sincerely,

JO