[Vision2020] Blessings

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:18:13 -0800

Visionaries,

As I indicated earlier, I am unsubscribing from this list in just a few
minutes. If I may be allowed just a few comments as I go, I would
appreciate it. Four things.

First, I want to thank everyone from this list who came to the meeting last
night. I was glad to meet a number of you, and appreciated the opportunity
to answer all the questions that we were able to get to. Thank you.

Second, I appreciate those who have asked me to stay on the list. While I
still think I need to go, I am not becoming a recluse, or going away mad.
As we emphasized at the meeting last night, we live here, and we know we
have civic responsibilities related to that. This departure is part of
that. Since Vision 20/20 is not a moderated list, and since there is
something about my boyish smile that whips a certain kind  of person into a
froth, I think it is only reasonable for me to do something else for a
while. Because the People of the Clenched Jaw, not to mention the People of
Exuberant Slander, cannot be made to go, I think it only reasonable for the
person who sets them off to do so voluntarily. In other words, my absence
will likely mean the absence of some others as well. And Scripture says,
"Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no
talebearer, the strife ceaseth. As coals are to burning coals, and wood to
fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife. The words of a talebearer
are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly"
(Prov. 26:20-22).

Third, if any issue comes up related to this fracas that absolutely
*demands* a response from us, our session of elders still has a committee
that could supply any necessary answers in a timely way. The overall
situation in Moscow remains much as it was, with a few key
misunderstandings removed. For many of us, we have moved to understanding
our disagreements, which certainly remain. There will be other debates,
other situations, and (I hope) other conversations such as many of us had
last night. But as far as I am concerned, in this slavery discussion, you
can deal me out not.

And last, please permit a generic pastoral warning against the corrosive
effects of bitterness. As I have counseled many over the years with regard
to this problem, I have seen that bitterness never stays put. The author of
Hebrews put it this way:  "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without
which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of
the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and
thereby many be defiled" (Heb. 12:14-15). Bitterness is a root, and roots
gather nutrients. And if bitterness is nurtured and tolerated in any area,
it grows until the point when it springs up and defiles many. Those "many"
may not be the Evil Others who set you off in the first place -- too often
the many who are defiled by it are those who are closest to you. Bitterness
is a true corrosive, and Jesus Christ offers a way out of that bondage
through the grace of God.

So if you will excuse me, I am heading off to prepare for the celebration
of the Incarnation. God made flesh in a virgin's womb, and nothing will
ever be the same again. Merry Christmas.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson