[Vision2020] Vanity Press

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:24:13 -0800

Visionaries,

Normally, I wouldn't answer jabs like Wayne's below because to do so would
be a sure sign of . . . vanity. "Puff, puff! Canon Press publishes my stuff
because of its intrinsic MERIT . . ."  Beads of sweat appear on brow.
Indignation verifies the charge. And so on. So let it go -- with regard to
my literary endeavors, I am fond of H.L. Mencken's definition of
self-respect as that deep, assured feeling that no one, as of yet, is
suspicious.

But as Providence ordained it, it turns out I can address this by bragging
about a colleague, a thing I am not at all reluctant to do. Turns out an
essay by Douglas Jones was just published in an anthology entitled "The
Best Christian Writing 2004." The book is just now out, and Publisher's
Weekly (well known reviewer of vanity presses) said the anthology was "an
eclectic treasure trove." Library Journal, another publication on the take,
said it provides "a mixture of the sublime and the accessible." Booklist,
obviously owned by Doug's uncle because it spoke of Doug's essay directly,
said, "'Just Wood' . . . alternates, with never a line's space between
them, long paragraphs on rendering trees into lumber and long paragraphs on
a family encounter with giant redwoods, and conveys much botanical and
religious lore about trees in both expository streams."

The essay originally appeared -- sorry about this, Wayne -- in Credenda.
And we here are all very proud of Doug's accomplishment. Not to mention his
timing.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson