[Vision2020] Emancipation on the calendar

Edward Sebesta newtknight@mindspring.com
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:20:10 -0600

January 1st is when the Emancipation Proclamation went into effect.

January 31st is when congress passed the 13th amendment for the
ratification by the states.

Dec. 6th is when the 13th amendment was ratified.

So January 1st, at your New Year's Day party, celebrate the emancipation
proclamation.

I am not sure when emancipation came to Idaho. The legislation of the
Oregon Territory banned slavery, resulting in Jefferson Davis being very
angry, but I am not sure if the law would go into effect with the
organization by congress of Oregon as a territory. I am also not sure
when the Oregon territorial legislature passed the ban on slavery. These
would apply to Idaho.

If these Idaho days are during warm weather, it would be an excellent
reason to enjoy barbecue, which is what is done here with Juneteenth.

I also don't know if the Idaho state constitution has a ban on slavery.
Perhaps, in light of local pro-slavery sentiment, you might consider an
amendment.

Ed Sebesta