[Vision2020] Climate

Melissa Hendrickson hend5953@uidaho.edu
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:08:35 -0800

Aaron and Jerry-

As a member of the GSA, I feel that I need to say a few things.  Many of the people in the GSA are very skeptical of anything religious, which they have every right to be, many have been very hurt by there home churches and/or other Christians. Many of them felt very uncomfortable when your group called them sinners and they would be welcome at your church if they repented. Many of us face rejection from friends and family members, GSA is one place where we should feel safe and not have to have our guard up.

I was there the night that our chairs asked you to leave.  I saw the reaction of the the majority of the members when your crew walked in, the group took a collective breath.  One our co-chairs offered to sit down with you and talked about why they asked you to leave, but last I heard you did not take him up on that offer.  If you would still like to talk with people, I would be willing to sit down with you and tell you my story.  And I will listen to what you have to say as well. (but i won't debate biblical passages with you)  If you would like I can also point you in the direction of some great books having to do with the gay community.

Your actions may not have seemed disruptive to you, but to our group they were.  Maybe if you would have expressed your desire to get to know a little about the GSA at the outset, things would have been different, but as I recall, the first meeting you were there none of your group said anything but their names.  (But I could be wrong)

Mo

PS- Those that were outside of the Margaret Sanger talk were acting as individuals not as members of any one group in particular. And they did stay through out the talk, there was not enough room inside, so they were out in the hall listening.  Oh, and which members are still attending your CRF meetings?