[Vision2020] R.L. Dabney on race, Dabney is a hero to the Confederate Christians.

Edward Sebesta newtknight@mindspring.com
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 09:49:12 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3BCA7.5F62B2D0

The following is in Rich Text Format. It is from a very rought draft of
an unpublished paper I wrote.  Dabney was against women voting also.

The next book of interest published by Sprinkle in 1991, is "A Defense
of Virginia (And Through Her, of the South,) In Recent and Pending
Contests Against the Sectional Party," originally published in 1867. It
is 349 page book entirely a defense of slavery and attacks on
abolitionists. There are fifty-one pages on Old Testament justifications
for slavery, sixty three pages on New Testament justifications of
slavery alone. Dabney also claims that slavery was forced upon Virginia
by New England. Additionally this book begins to reveal R.L. Dabney's
raving racism and Negrophobia. A sample comes from his complaint that
"federal aggression" has brought negro suffrage which he feels is a
prelude to race war or amalgamation. Of the prospect of amalgamation
Dabney writes.

		Hence the offspring of an amalgamation must be a hybrid
race, stamped with all the feebleness of the hybrid, and incapable of
the career of civilization and glory as an independent race. And this
apparently is the destiny which our conquerors have in view. If indeed
they can mix the blood of the heroes of Manassas with this vile stream
from the fens of Africa, then they will never again have occasion to
tremble before the righteous resistance of Virginian freemen; but will
have a race supple and vile enough to fill that position of political
subjection, which they desire to fix on the South. [Emphasis is the
authors.]

Lest this characterization of Dabney seem too extreme, an extract from
one of his letters should be considered. In "The Life and letters of
Robert Lewis Dabney," by Thomas Cary Johnson, the author takes care to
inform the reader of another reason Dabney moved to Texas, by making an
extensive quote from one of Dabney's letters. A Conservative Religious
group in Britain, the Banner of Truth Trust, has republished this book.
I quote extracts as follows:

		[After he explains that he had to move to Austin, Texas
for his health, he feels it necessary to explain another reason.] Candor
requires me to premise a few other points. The introduction of railways
and the fall of the Confederacy left the Seminary in an undesirable
location, no longer on a great thoroughfare as when Dr. Rice placed it
near Hampden-Sidney College, but isolated and the middle of the 'black
belt,' and with the excellent society of country gentlemen, once so
congenial a society for it. Doom to extirpation by the conquerors. But I
saw that its removal to some more hopeful place was utterly
impracticable. So nothing remained but to try to improve the conditions
of our College village. . Another drift that intimately concerned us was
that of the Negroes to the neighborhood of the Seminary and College.
Agriculture in the surrounding country was nearly ruined; the mixture of
job work, loafing and chances to pilfer around us suited the negro
exactly. . The manifest destiny of the nearest farms was to be
subdivided and sold in fee-simple to Negroes, so that the College and
Seminary were to be closely hugged by an annular negro town of the most
sordid quality. I was then a trustee of Hampden-Sidney College. I made
the most powerful appeal I could to both bodies of trutees, to those of
the College as an equal member, to those of the Seminary as a servant,
humbly and urgently petitioning. I showed them that they had to choose
between a resident's town of the very best white people in Virginia, and
a town of Negroes; that if they sat still, the latter would inevitably
come of itself. I asked them whether they thought that the atmosphere of
this negro town would be favorable to the muses. I showed them how
easily and certainly they could get the precious white man's town. . [He
describes some of the college land holdings and his own offer of 100
acres. Then he describes his plan.] First, not sell an inch of these
lands to any negro or pauperized white man; second, to concur in the
sale of building lots on the parts most adjacent to the institutions,
each proprietor fixing his own price. Next, the association must prepare
to purchase, as a last resort, such adjacent lands of insolvent or
unfriendly proprietors as would otherwise sell to Negroes or
untrustworthy whites, the object being to secure, not ownership, but
control of all the adjacent lands in the danger of occupancy by this
ringtown of Negroes. .. I suggested, instead of sale, ground rents on
long terms, because this would retain in the hands of the two Boards
perpetual power to prevent the after sale of any lot to a negro, or mean
white person, .[The college and seminary was interested and Dabney notes
with satisfaction that he was right, and it came to pass, a negro town
nearby.]

In 1994, 1996, and 1999, three volumes of Dabney's discussions were
re-published, Vol. 4 "Secular," Vol. 3 "Philosophical," and Vol. 5
Miscellaneous, respectively, and not in sequence.  Vol. 3 had been
published originally in 1892, Vol. 4 in 1897, and Vol. 5 was an entirely
new collection of his writings, not in the original set of four volumes
published in the 19th century.

Vol. 4 under the copyright notice, has the note that you can order it
from Ross House books, or Sprinkle Publication and gives the mailing
addresses. As mentioned previously Ross House books is a part of the
late Rushdoony's Chalcedon Foundation. The book rails against rights for
women, African Americans, Jacobinism, modern religious ideas, and public
education; it defends slavery; attacks abolitionists and the "North";
eulogizes Stonewall Jackson; glorifies the Confederacy and its heroes.
Dabney's antipathy towards African Americans in a seemingly innocuously
titled "Commendation of the Study of Philosophy, Lecture." In a lecture
where philosophy's purpose is to refute Jacobinism, there suddenly
arises the purpose of his whole complaint as follows:

		If the Jacobins equality is that which intuition teaches
to be "inalienable," then it was inconsistent that the Africans, though
pagans, aliens, lately savage, and utterly unfit to wield the higher
franchise of civic life without ruining society and themselves should be
"held to service or labor" under other citizens. It was iniquity that
they should be denied any franchise attainable by any other citizens.

In Dabney's article, "The Negro and the Common School," he denounces
education for African Americans saying it makes his "blood boil." Some
quotes illustrate this.

		But you asked for my opinion of this fearful question of
the negro in our common schools. . to raise taxes to give a pretended
education to the brats of black paupers, who are loafing around their
plantations, stealing a part of the scanty crops and stock their poor,
struggling boys are able to raise. Not seldom has this pitiful sight
made by blood boil with indignation and then made my heart bleed with
the thought: "How mournfully is that subjugation, which has made men,
who were once Virginians, submit tamely to this burning wrong?" "The
offense is rank, and smells to Heaven."

		Radicalism thrusts upon us this fatal innovation of
negro suffrage; and then requires of us a promise that we will undertake
to make it work safely and beneficently. . I do not mean to divide with
the conquerors the onus of his ruthless and murderous crime against
liberty and civilization.

		For, second: the pretended education which Virginia is
now giving, at so heavy a cost, to the Negroes, is, as a remedy for
negro suffrage, utterly deceptive, farcical and dishonest. The tenor of
the argument concedes, what every man, not a fool, knows to be true:
that the Negroes, as a body, are now glaringly unfit for the privilege
of voting. What makes them unfit? Such things as these: The inexorable
barrier of alien race, color, and natural character, between them and
that other race which constitutes the bulk of American citizens: a dense
ignorance of the rights and duties of citizenship: . a general moral
grade so deplorably low as to permit their being driven or bouth like a
herd of sheep by the demagogue: a parasitical servility and dependency
of nature which characterizes the race everywhere, and in all ages: an
almost total lack of real perservering aspirations: and last, an
obstinate set of false traditions, which bind him as a mere serf to a
party, which is the born enemy of every righteous interest in our state.
. Now our political quacks propose to cure them . And how? . a modicum
of the arts of reading, writing, and ciphering, . will infuse through
the wool of such heads.

		Another cause is the natural indolence of the negro
character, which finds precisely its desired pretext, in this pretended
work of going to school. Still another is the universal disposition of
the young negro to construe his "liberty" as meaning precisely,
privileges of idleness.

		Instead, then of giving any negro over five years old a
pretext of any sort for evading his righteous and beneficent lot of
manual labor, we should have bent every energy of statesmanship and
government to the task of somehow keeping the grown Negroes at their
work, and making sure the young ones were taught to work.

		The satanic artificers of our subjugation well knew the
work which they designed to perpetrate:  it is so to mingle that blood
which flowed in the veins of our Washingtons, Lees, and Jacksons, and
which consecrated the battle fields of the Confederacy, with this sordid
alien taint, that the bastard stream shall never again throb with
independence enough to make the tyrant tremble.

It goes on and on and on like this.  Other articles that attack public
school education in general also includes attacks on education for
African Americans. Dabney feels that slavery educated African Americans
in one.  They have a shrill screaming tone.

Ed Sebesta

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3BCA7.5F62B2D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.4630.0">
<TITLE>R.L. Dabney on race, Dabney is a hero to the Confederate =
Christians. </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The following is =
in Rich Text Format. It is from a very rought draft of an unpublished =
paper I wrote.&nbsp; Dabney was against women voting also. =
</FONT></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">The next book of =
interest published by Sprinkle in 1991, is &#8220;A Defense of Virginia =
(And Through Her, of the South,) In Recent and Pending Contests Against =
the Sectional Party,&#8221; originally published in 1867. It is 349 page =
book entirely a defense of slavery and attacks on abolitionists. There =
are fifty-one pages on Old Testament justifications for slavery, sixty =
three pages on New Testament justifications of slavery alone. Dabney =
also claims that slavery was forced upon Virginia by New England. =
Additionally this book begins to reveal R.L. Dabney&#8217;s raving =
racism and Negrophobia. A sample comes from his complaint that =
&#8220;federal aggression&#8221; has brought negro suffrage which he =
feels is a prelude to race war or amalgamation. Of the prospect of =
amalgamation Dabney writes.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<UL><UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Hence the =
offspring of an amalgamation must be a hybrid race, stamped with all the =
feebleness of the hybrid, and incapable of the career of civilization =
and glory as an independent race. And this apparently is the destiny =
which our conquerors have in view. If indeed they can mix the blood of =
the heroes of Manassas with<B> this vile stream from the fens of =
Africa</B>, then they will never again have occasion to tremble before =
the righteous resistance of Virginian freemen; but<B> will have a race =
supple and vile enough</B> to fill that position of political =
subjection, which they desire to fix on the South.</FONT></I><FONT =
FACE=3D"Times New Roman"> [Emphasis is the authors.] </FONT></SPAN></P>
</UL></UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Lest this =
characterization of Dabney seem too extreme, an extract from one of his =
letters should be considered. In &#8220;The Life and letters of Robert =
Lewis Dabney,&#8221; by Thomas Cary Johnson, the author takes care to =
inform the reader of another reason Dabney moved to Texas, by making an =
extensive quote from one of Dabney&#8217;s letters. A Conservative =
Religious group in Britain, the Banner of Truth Trust, has republished =
this book.&nbsp; I quote extracts as follows: </FONT></SPAN></P>
<UL><UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">[After he =
explains that he had to move to Austin, Texas for his health, he feels =
it necessary to explain another reason.]</FONT><I> <FONT FACE=3D"Times =
New Roman">Candor requires me to premise a few other points. The =
introduction of railways and the fall of the Confederacy left the =
Seminary in an undesirable location, no longer on a great thoroughfare =
as when Dr. Rice placed it near Hampden-Sidney College, but isolated and =
the middle of the &#8216;black belt,&#8217; and with the excellent =
society of country gentlemen, once so congenial a society for it. Doom =
to extirpation by the conquerors. But I saw that its removal to some =
more hopeful place was utterly impracticable. So nothing remained but to =
try to improve the conditions of our College village. &#8230; Another =
drift that intimately concerned us was that of the Negroes to the =
neighborhood of the Seminary and College. Agriculture in the surrounding =
country was nearly ruined; the mixture of job work, loafing and chances =
to pilfer around us suited the negro exactly. &#8230; The manifest =
destiny of the nearest farms was to be subdivided and sold in fee-simple =
to Negroes, so that the College and Seminary were to be closely hugged =
by an annular negro town of the most sordid quality. I was then a =
trustee of Hampden-Sidney College. I made the most powerful appeal I =
could to both bodies of trutees, to those of the College as an equal =
member, to those of the Seminary as a servant, humbly and urgently =
petitioning. I showed them that they had to choose between a =
resident&#8217;s town of the very best white people in Virginia, and a =
town of Negroes; that if they sat still, the latter would inevitably =
come of itself. I asked them whether they thought that the atmosphere of =
this negro town would be favorable to the muses. I showed them how =
easily and certainly they could get the precious white man&#8217;s town. =
&#8230;</FONT></I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"> [He describes some of =
the college land holdings and his own offer of 100 acres. Then he =
describes his plan.]</FONT><I> <FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">First, not =
sell an inch of these lands to any negro or pauperized white man; =
second, to concur in the sale of building lots on the parts most =
adjacent to the institutions, each proprietor fixing his own price. =
Next, the association must prepare to purchase, as a last resort, such =
adjacent lands of insolvent or unfriendly proprietors as would otherwise =
sell to Negroes or untrustworthy whites, the object being to secure, not =
ownership, but control of all the adjacent lands in the danger of =
occupancy by this ringtown of Negroes. &#8230;. I suggested, instead of =
sale, ground rents on long terms, because this would retain in the hands =
of the two Boards perpetual power to prevent the after sale of any lot =
to a negro, or mean white person, &#8230;</FONT></I><FONT FACE=3D"Times =
New Roman">[The college and seminary was interested and Dabney notes =
with satisfaction that he was right, and it came to pass, a negro town =
nearby.] </FONT></SPAN></P>
</UL></UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">In 1994, 1996, =
and 1999, three volumes of Dabney&#8217;s discussions were re-published, =
Vol. 4 &#8220;Secular,&#8221; Vol. 3 &#8220;Philosophical,&#8221; and =
Vol. 5 Miscellaneous, respectively, and not in sequence.&nbsp; Vol. 3 =
had been published originally in 1892, Vol. 4 in 1897, and Vol. 5 was an =
entirely new collection of his writings, not in the original set of four =
volumes published in the 19<SUP>th</SUP> century. </FONT></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Vol. 4 under the =
copyright notice, has the note that you can order it from Ross House =
books, or Sprinkle Publication and gives the mailing addresses. As =
mentioned previously Ross House books is a part of the late =
Rushdoony&#8217;s Chalcedon Foundation. The book rails against rights =
for women, African Americans, Jacobinism, modern religious ideas, and =
public education; it defends slavery; attacks abolitionists and the =
&#8220;North&#8221;; eulogizes Stonewall Jackson; glorifies the =
Confederacy and its heroes. Dabney&#8217;s antipathy towards African =
Americans in a seemingly innocuously titled &#8220;Commendation of the =
Study of Philosophy, Lecture.&#8221; In a lecture where =
philosophy&#8217;s purpose is to refute Jacobinism, there suddenly =
arises the purpose of his whole complaint as follows:</FONT></SPAN></P>
<UL><UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">If the =
Jacobins equality is that which intuition teaches to be =
&#8220;inalienable,&#8221; then it was inconsistent that the Africans, =
though pagans, aliens, lately savage, and utterly unfit to wield the =
higher franchise of civic life without ruining society and themselves =
should be &#8220;held to service or labor&#8221; under other citizens. =
It was iniquity that they should be denied any franchise attainable by =
any other citizens.</FONT></I> </SPAN></P>
</UL></UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">In Dabney&#8217;s =
article, &#8220;The Negro and the Common School,&#8221; he denounces =
education for African Americans saying it makes his &#8220;blood =
boil.&#8221; Some quotes illustrate this. </FONT></SPAN></P>
<UL><UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">But you asked =
for my opinion of this fearful question of the negro in our common =
schools. &#8230; to raise taxes to give a pretended education to the =
brats of black paupers, who are loafing around their plantations, =
stealing a part of the scanty crops and stock their poor, struggling =
boys are able to raise. Not seldom has this pitiful sight made by blood =
boil with indignation and then made my heart bleed with the thought: =
&#8220;How mournfully is that subjugation, which has made men, who were =
once Virginians, submit tamely to this burning wrong?&#8221; &#8220;The =
offense is rank, and smells to Heaven.&#8221; </FONT></I></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Radicalism =
thrusts upon us this fatal innovation of negro suffrage; and then =
requires of us a promise that we will undertake to make it work safely =
and beneficently. &#8230; I do not mean to divide with the conquerors =
the onus of his ruthless and murderous crime against liberty and =
civilization. </FONT></I></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">For, second: =
the pretended education which Virginia is now giving, at so heavy a =
cost, to the Negroes, is, as a remedy for negro suffrage, utterly =
deceptive, farcical and dishonest. The tenor of the argument concedes, =
what every man, not a fool, knows to be true: that the Negroes, as a =
body, are now glaringly unfit for the privilege of voting. What makes =
them unfit? Such things as these: The inexorable barrier of alien race, =
color, and natural character, between them and that other race which =
constitutes the bulk of American citizens: a dense ignorance of the =
rights and duties of citizenship: &#8230; a general moral grade so =
deplorably low as to permit their being driven or bouth like a herd of =
sheep by the demagogue: a parasitical servility and dependency of nature =
which characterizes the race everywhere, and in all ages: an almost =
total lack of real perservering aspirations: and last, an obstinate set =
of false traditions, which bind him as a mere serf to a party, which is =
the born enemy of every righteous interest in our state.&nbsp; &#8230; =
Now our political quacks propose to cure them &#8230; And how? &#8230; a =
modicum of the arts of reading, writing, and ciphering, &#8230; will =
infuse through the wool of such heads. </FONT></I></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Another cause =
is the natural indolence of the negro character, which finds precisely =
its desired pretext, in this pretended work of going to school. Still =
another is the universal disposition of the young negro to construe his =
&#8220;liberty&#8221; as meaning precisely, privileges of idleness. =
</FONT></I></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Instead, then =
of giving any negro over five years old a pretext of any sort for =
evading his righteous and beneficent lot of manual labor, we should have =
bent every energy of statesmanship and government to the task of somehow =
keeping the grown Negroes at their work, and making sure the young ones =
were taught to work. </FONT></I></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><I><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">The satanic =
artificers of our subjugation well knew the work which they designed to =
perpetrate:&nbsp; it is so to mingle that blood which flowed in the =
veins of our Washingtons, Lees, and Jacksons, and which consecrated the =
battle fields of the Confederacy, with this sordid alien taint, that the =
bastard stream shall never again throb with independence enough to make =
the tyrant tremble.&nbsp; </FONT></I></SPAN></P>
</UL></UL>
<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">It goes on and on =
and on like this.&nbsp; Other articles that attack public school =
education in general also includes attacks on education for African =
Americans. Dabney feels that slavery educated African Americans in =
one.&nbsp; They have a shrill screaming tone. </FONT></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Ed Sebesta =
</FONT></SPAN>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>