[Vision2020] sorry about the problems--posting again--Christians & Alternatives

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:20:56 -0600

Hi all,

I agree, very much, with those posters who have cautioned us against broad
discrimination and hatred of Christians.

In my work as an advocate, Christian churches--from conservative to
liberal--have been very powerful forces for justice and for positive changes
in communities.  I have great respect and fondness for individual
Christians, churches and faith communities who advocate for justice, and I
have seen them literally change the world in addressing hunger, racism,
access to health care, child poverty, and on and on and on.

As an alternative to the town hall meeting, for anyone who wants more
information about how Christians and people of faith may positively impact
communities, I offer the following links--they cheer me and inform me, even
though I certainly don't agree with all of their positions.

Like many people on this list, I base my assessment of individuals, churches
and faith groups on their words, their actions, and their contributions to
our community.  I thought these resources may interest some of you as other
examples of what is possible!  There are so many wonderful, political,
effective faith-based advocacy groups, I could not list all, and because of
our recent discussions, I only list some from Christian traditions.  There
are also amazing groups from other faith traditions that are worth a look.

Amy Smoucha

National Council of Churches:  http://www.ncccusa.org/

Catholic Voices for Economic Justice:
http://www.catholic-voices.org/news.htm

Network:  A Catholic Social Justice Lobby:  http://www.networklobby.org/

United Church of Christ:  http://www.ucc.org/justice/

Methodist Federation for Social Action:  http://www.mfsaweb.org/

Bread for the World:  http://www.bread.org/

Call to Renewal:  http://www.calltorenewal.com/

Mennonite Committee On Social Justice:  http://www.mcc.org/respub.html

Church Women United:  http://www.churchwomen.org/

Protestants for the Common Good:  http://www.thecommongood.org/

American Friends Service Committee:  http://www.thecommongood.org/

Center of Concern:  http://www.coc.org/focus/?ID=906

The American Baptist Churches:
http://www.abc-usa.org/resources/resol/#anchor243684 (I like their policies
on welfare, war, and racial justice).

Shop online for kids’ toys by age group, price range, and toy category at
MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com