[Vision2020] Joining the community

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:39:50 -0700

Visionaries,

Just a few comments on Bill London's recent post about NSA trying to join
the community, and the possible mural uses of the back wall of the NSA
building. And while I appreciated Bill's expressed desire for civil civic
relations, which we also (believe it or not) share, a few comments are
still in order

The fact that some folks have just recently become aware of some of our
institutions does not mean we have just arrived, or are somehow now trying
to integrate into the community. Logos has been around for twenty years,
and NSA for ten years. We are not newcomers. In fact, in the early days of
Logos, we used to have a booth at the Renaissance Fair where we sold
cinnamon rolls and chili. We did this until we were uninvited one year
because we were striking a discordant note somehow. You know how intolerant
evangelical cinnamon rolls are. As we make our decisions about posting
various community events, no one should be surprised if we take this
element of discordance into account. Nobody will be surprised, for example,
if we decline to put the Hemp Fest up there. But the Hamp Fest is another
thing entirely.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson