[Vision2020] more of the same

Sharon Sullivan herbals@moscow.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:51:19 -0700

--=======52BE4FFD=======

Mr. Wilson,
	My goodness what a hornet's nest that little letter to Laura stirred up.
Your repartee serves well to illustrate the shifting of 'truth', depending
on who is telling the story, and, you would hope, demonstrate the need for
a vast unflinching, unalterable body of writing to express God's
truth.   We all have our own idea of God, (or not) depending on the limits
of our imagination, experience, and also, indoctrination.  I do see beauty
in the Bible and appreciate ritual and tradition.  Though, I believe our
collective myths should grow and change with the demands of the time, as
society as a collective force also grows and changes.  It is a process of
dialogue and sensitivity to everything around us, and together people often
choose to let go of old ways that no longer serve us, and also welcome in
new ways that also provide inspiration and hope as our cultures demand.
	An example of this, for me, is the need to rethink the Biblical view of
human's dominion over all the animals.  At this point in our planet's
ecology, dominated by people, with the resulting extinction of countless
species, perhaps it is appropriate to dialogue about the fate of the other
Earth creatures. Ahhh...but it is God's will for them to disappear?  It is
not for us to know.  My view is that if each species is truly a work of the
Divine Creator, who are we to extinguish Divine works?  So I would prefer
to work in the material plane for the survival of these species than honor
verbatim the outdated pages of the Bible.
	True social discourse is a dialogue; a process where all voices can be
heard and everyone has a place at the table.  But (gasp!) you are already
disheartened because you think I don't get it.  (So what happens when the
hate-monger misogynist homophobe loud violent person comes to dinner? Are
we to welcome and honor him/her as well?  Won't that be
disruptive?)  Perhaps this is where common courtesy and social
understandings come into play -- generally i've noticed that people accept
unspoken behavioral rules.  Or, they are generally outnumbered. Whose
rules?  Well, we all talk about it and hash it out.  (oh gosh, the tyranny
of the majority, Hobbes vs. Rousseau...Nazis...i can see where this could
end up...us vs. them, who has the 'power'...)
	OK, sometimes we go to war over our differences rather than just trying
to  listen to the other, so different (so offensive), and try to find some
common ground where we can agree.  A teensy tiny little bit of room for
some subtle shift.
	Oh, this is dangerous.  Talk of things evolving, changing.  Look around
you.  Everything of the Creator has cycles of change.  It seems rather
unlikely a universe of ebb and flow would be the creation of a rigid
God.  Are not people in God's image?  We grow and change?  Why not allow
God, our concept thereof, and our interpretation of Divine presence to grow
and change also?  Did you know that human babies would not make it through
the birth passage if not for the ingenious feature of the mother's pelvis
that allows for the bones to separate ever so slightly -- the slightest
little teensy tiny shift makes it all possible?
	Much subtlety exists beyond the bounds of logic and reason, infinite
possibilities between black and white (other than grey or plaid).  I hear
you asserting that if we do not adhere to the constant and unchanging, we
are destined for utter chaos. I disagree; I believe in the human ability to
vision, to listen, to inspire, and at the very least, someday enact laws to
protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public (not just the
rich folks.)  That's why we should be attentive to the here and now, while
looking ahead to the future of what we want our world to look like.  The
moldy books of the past may be endearing...but look what state we're in
now!  We have the ability to shape our world as a honoring of Creation,
rather than a desecration. Each individual holds his own ticket and chooses
her own ride.
	What if we all took all the energy we are expending
arguing/conversing  over our different perspectives and, instead, compared
our Top 10 Wish Lists...one list for our own personal lives and one for the
planet?  Would any of the set circles overlap to make a union?  Why should
different spiritual views drive humans further apart, rather than allowing
us to learn and take strength from one another?
	Well, off i go...My here and now life on the material plane is requiring
my attention for the near future...so I'll be likely riding the delete key
without reading for several weeks.  May the dialogue flourish....and all
voices be heard.  (No need to shout, right?)  Top 10 lists, anyone?
	Sharon

---