[Vision2020] RE: Light Bulbs

eevans@moscow.com eevans@moscow.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:31:19 GMT

Brent,

Ted Moffett's question was constrained to property taxes, but your's goes
further. Please clarify by answering yet another straightfoward question: Are
you suggesting that the civil government regulate the influence of ideologies?

Cheers,
-Ed Evans

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Capener
<snip>

In addition, do we want to be known as the city that officially discourages
non-profit organizations?

Cheers,
-Ed Evans
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer: no

Extended commentary: but we would be very unwise to allow one non-profit
organization or non-mainstream ideology to dominate the heart of our city, our
politics, our planning, our view of the future, our way of life here, or any
other type of domination, particularly at the expense of the socially diverse
range of taxpaying citizens.  Being evasive about answering a simple question
only breeds more suspicion and fear.

Here's a couple easily answered questions to practice on:
1) Do we want our city to be gradually dominated by one religious group?
2) Do we want to be known as the "New Rachneespuram(sp?) Oregon" located in what
was once Moscow, Id?

For number one, my answer is no.  What's yours?
I sure hope we all agree on no for #2.

<snip>

           http://www.fsr.net/