[Vision2020] gay marriage and bananas

Peter Willard petew@completebbs.com
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:29:51 -0700

--=======74291B49=======

At 12:19 PM 8/7/03 -0700, Joan Opyr wrote:
>I have no moral or philosophical objections to polygamy.  I can, however,
>see some practical difficulties if it were practiced in the United States.

Most of the polygamy in the USA involves a guy who travels for his trade
who acquires a spouse in each of the cities he most often travels to. You
probably know someone who has either been in this situation or knows
someone else who has, it's not unusual at all, just ask around and see. The
point is that most polygamy, as it is practiced, is really a kind of fraud
committed against the spouses and kids. This is a lot more common than the
sort of polygamy that the teevee set likes to show us, with creepy
religious cult people doing their thing in creepy little towns using force
with their fraud.
<snip>
>.  I think the state ought to get out of the marriage business altogether.

Can't happen as the purpose of the state, at least Our State, is to define
and protect property rights. Marriage is one arena of human activity where
conflicting claims to property tend to happen a lot. The gov'mint has to be
conservative about changing marriage law to avoid an avalanche of new kinds
of disputes. The courts don't like having to decide new kinds of cases as
it takes a lot of time, it makes them unpopular no matter how they decide
and controversies tend to be rekindled every so often. How do you say?
Tough cases make bad law?

---