[Vision2020] gay marriage and bananas

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:12:23 -0700

Visionaries,

I actually think this discussion is getting somewhere. But I still have
questions, and I hope will get this us even further.

Joan says:
"The difference between me and thee is that I view this as a matter of law
and not morality. Polygamy would be fine by me if we could guarantee it was
practiced willingly, fairly, and with the consent of all involved."

But obviously you believe that the law should be informed by morality.
Otherwise, why would you care about consent? The need for consent is
(obviously) a moral issue. But whose formulation? Whose morality? And if a
fifteen year old girl is not competent to decide whether to join the harem
of an old coot on the mountain named Elijah One Tooth, then how is she
competent to decide whether to sleep with some fifteen-year-old in her
class at school? Or to get an abortion if she desires one? Why do we help
her get condoms for the latter bad choice, but draw the line hard and firm
with the first bad choice?

And by the way, I think you guessed wrong when it comes to my teaching on
divorce and remarriage. Jesus said that divorce was permitted because of
hardness of heart. And pastorally, I have seen enough of such hardness of
heart in marriages to be able to thank God for the grace He exhibits in
lawful divorce for the wronged party. In this screwed up world, divorce is
frequently permitted, and sometimes mandatory.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson