[Vision2020] Truly important Northwest stuff

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

Carl,
    I'm not sure about the not-getting Aaron Boone
thing. I assume you're talking about a power hitting
3rd baseman right? The way I heard it was that the
deal they had almost complete was a three-way deal
between the RedSox, the Reds and the M's and that
George Steinbrenner intervened because he was afraid
that Freddie might go to Boston to clean house. Also,
there was at least one suggestion that the Reds are
less than enthusiastic about dealing with the M's at
all because of the way the Ken G. Jr. deal went
sideways on them.
    As always and as you mention, it's ALL ABOUT THE
PITCHING. It has been good enough to keep the M's in
first, but I think Freddie has earned a trip to Tacoma
to get his head straight and then to the bullpen as
long-relief at least for a few starts. In his place
they should platoon Julio Mateo, Soriano, and some of
the young talent in Tacoma.

   The Jays,the Yankees, the BoSox, and then the A's
in Oakland all in August I believe. I think if they
can get through August in first or within three games
of the A's they should be into the playoffs. I think
they can do well enough against the A's, Angels and
Rangers that they'll be OK. It's right now that
worries me. I hope they don't get knocked around too
bad by the "beasts of the east."

   TL