[Vision2020] Re: Gay marriage

Ralph Nielsen nielsen@uidaho.edu
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:30:48 -0700

> From: Jacob Spencer <spencerjt@wlu.edu>
> Date: Tue Aug 5, 2003  8:53:21 PM US/Pacific
> To: vision2020@moscow.com
> Subject: [Vision2020] Gay marriage: could we stop shouting and listen?
>
> I will allow John and Donovan to continue sticking their tongues out at
> each other in the corner.  For the rest of the presumably sane people
> on
> the list, I will attempt to translate previous discussion.  Doug Wilson
> asks "By what standard does a state regulate marriage?  Pragmatics,
> ethics, dice rolling, tradition, etc.?"  Ralph Nielson answers, "you're
> illogical, how can you ask a question of me, Moscow's leading atheist
> and tolerant Christian-hater? How illogical."  Melynda Huskey answers
> "I'm gay."  Doug Wilson replies, "what is your standard?" Ms. Huskey
> replies, "I'm gay."
>
> So here is the question, by what standard do you include gay marriage
> and leave out polygamy, bestiality, NAMBLA, etc?  Most say pragmatics,
> well problems can be worked around.  Some say ethics, well, whose?
> Some
> say "Because I am Ralph Nielson and I have read the Bible" well, hmm.
> So, what's your standard?  Shouting may now resume.

RALPH NIELSEN  Aug. 6
	Yet another illogical letter typical of Doug Wilson and his disciples.
Let me ask the Wilson gang, "By what standard do you include bisexual
monogamy and leave out bisexual polygamy?" Polygamy is biblical, too,
as I pointed out earlier. You can be both biblical and logical at the
same time if you try.
	Jacob Spence also misrepresented me. I did not just say "How can you
ask a question of me?" I think I presented a logical argument that
Jacob wants to ignore.
	Name-calling is another admission of defeat. I know "atheist" is a
swear word in the fundamentalist vocabulary, that's why Jacob uses it.
But in this case, it is completely irrelevant. But thanks for the
compliment anyway, Jacob. I didn't know I was "Moscow's leading atheist
and tolerant [sic] Christian-hater." As a matter of fact, I have many
Christian friends, including clergy.
	Last and least, my name is Danish, like that of the TV rating company.
Even Christians spell the second syllable "...sen."