[Vision2020] Gay Marriage, again

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1890811130-1060110697=:32733

Wow!

You were "married" in a "church?"

I guess it all depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Cheers!
John Harrell

Melynda Huskey <mghuskey@hotmail.com> wrote:
Against my better judgement (what there is of it), I've been thinking about
some of Doug, Donovan, and Ralph's ideas about marriage--gay, straight,
monogamous, polyandrous, and so on . . .

Marriage in the U.S. is obviously a civil contract which may or may not
include a religious covenant. According to the GAO, there are over 1000
statuatory rights and responsibilities associated with legal marriage in the
U.S. Those are imposed and regulated by the state, not by any religious
body, no matter what role that religious body may play in the wedding
ceremony or the subsequent marriage. Those of us who seek the legal status
which attends civil marriage in this country have a hard time understanding
why the strictures of any religious body should have the power to withhold
civil rights from some citizens. And it is really religious argument which
stands in the way.

The argument from history that marriage has always been between one man and
one woman founders rapidly upon fact: polygyny is the most common form of
marital relation, anthropologically and historically speaking. As recently
as the Middle Ages, very few people were married at all. The argument that
the family has always been composed of a man, a woman, and their children
has been systematically refuted by historians, anthropologists, and
sociologists. The primary objection raised against gay marriage is really
that some people believe that God does not authorize such unions. The
religious beliefs of some citizens are thus permitted to determine the civil
rights of others.

I had a church wedding, for goodness sake, and took my vows in the presence
of God and the congregation. What I can't do is confer my Social Security
death benefits to the woman with whom I took those vows, and to whom I have
been married for nearly twelve years. I can't file my taxes jointly with
her. I can't trust that if one of us dies, the other will automatically
have custody of our children. I can't be with her in the Intensive Care
Unit if one of her family members wants me out. I can't be sure that
"Beloved Wife of Joan" will be carved on my tombstone, if the cemetary
officials don't like those words.

The argument that gay marriage ought logically to open the door to polygamy
is of purely academic interest to me. Gay marriages need not *necessarily*
lead to polygamous marriages, and the possibility that they might is not a
sufficient reason on its own to justify the continued exclusion of some
citizens from the civil benefits and responsibilities of marriage based
solely on the gender of the partners.

Melynda Huskey

Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.
Burnt Norton, T.S. Eliot

--0-1890811130-1060110697=:32733

<DIV>Wow!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You were "married" in a "church?"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I guess it all depends on what the definition of "is" is.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers!</DIV>
<DIV>John Harrell</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Melynda Huskey &lt;mghuskey@hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%">Against my better judgement (what there is of it), I've been thinking about <BR>some of Doug, Donovan, and Ralph's ideas about marriage--gay, straight, <BR>monogamous, polyandrous, and so on . . .<BR><BR>Marriage in the U.S. is obviously a civil contract which may or may not <BR>include a religious covenant. According to the GAO, there are over 1000 <BR>statuatory rights and responsibilities associated with legal marriage in the <BR>U.S. Those are imposed and regulated by the state, not by any religious <BR>body, no matter what role that religious body may play in the wedding <BR>ceremony or the subsequent marriage. Those of us who seek the legal status <BR>which attends civil marriage in this country have a hard time understanding <BR>why the strictures of any religious body should have the power to withhold <BR>civil rights from some citizens. And it is really religious arg!
 ument
 which <BR>stands in the way.<BR><BR>The argument from history that marriage has always been between one man and <BR>one woman founders rapidly upon fact: polygyny is the most common form of <BR>marital relation, anthropologically and historically speaking. As recently <BR>as the Middle Ages, very few people were married at all. The argument that <BR>the family has always been composed of a man, a woman, and their children <BR>has been systematically refuted by historians, anthropologists, and <BR>sociologists. The primary objection raised against gay marriage is really <BR>that some people believe that God does not authorize such unions. The <BR>religious beliefs of some citizens are thus permitted to determine the civil <BR>rights of others.<BR><BR>I had a church wedding, for goodness sake, and took my vows in the presence <BR>of God and the congregation. What I can't do is confer my Social Security <BR>death benefits to the woman with whom I took those vows, and to whom I!
  have
 <BR>been married for nearly twelve years. I can't file my taxes jointly with <BR>her. I can't trust that if one of us dies, the other will automatically <BR>have custody of our children. I can't be with her in the Intensive Care <BR>Unit if one of her family members wants me out. I can't be sure that <BR>"Beloved Wife of Joan" will be carved on my tombstone, if the cemetary <BR>officials don't like those words.<BR><BR>The argument that gay marriage ought logically to open the door to polygamy <BR>is of purely academic interest to me. Gay marriages need not *necessarily* <BR>lead to polygamous marriages, and the possibility that they might is not a <BR>sufficient reason on its own to justify the continued exclusion of some <BR>citizens from the civil benefits and responsibilities of marriage based <BR>solely on the gender of the partners.<BR><BR>Melynda Huskey<BR><BR><BR>Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,<BR>Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.<BR>Go,!
  go, go,
 said the bird: human kind<BR>Cannot bear very much reality.<BR>Burnt Norton, T.S. Eliot<BR><BR>_________________________________________________________________<BR>Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. <BR>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail<BR><BR>_____________________________________________________<BR>List services made available by First Step Internet, <BR>serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994. <BR>http://www.fsr.net <BR>mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com<BR>ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1890811130-1060110697=:32733--