[Vision2020] [Vision2020]Teachers Work: Wenders' Diatribe

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 00:07:51 +0000

Dale et. al.

See link below to data on Idaho Public School teachers work days and hours.

Ted Moffett wrote:

>> > 2)  His statement was "inaccurate" because MSD teachers
>> > really work more than 180 days out of the year if you include
>> > all that is required of them in their career.  This point has
>> > been repeated and analyzed by myself and others on this list
>> > before.  I have not yet heard a convincing refutation of this point.

Dale replied:

>>Ted, would you please provide for me the "analysis" that you conducted for
>>the number of workdays that MSD teachers do.

Ted replies:

The analysis provided via the link below is obviously NOT MY analysis.  Note
that the "teaching days" came out to just over 180 and "other days of
contract" came out to just over 9.  Then there is the 11 hours a week
average spent on "instruction related activities" not a part of the regular
work day.  Then there is average 4+ hours a week spent on "non-compensated"
activities, which would add up to about another work day every two weeks of
school, if a work day at 8 hours a day was figured.  Interestingly, we have
an average amount ($443.66) donated to students by teachers during that year
out of their own income that equals over a days pay given away to students!

Note that, as far I can tell, these results do not include figures regarding
my main point in arguing that your annualized salary figures are misleading,
and that your claims of the number of days "worked" by public school
teachers are misleading, that point being:  any course work that is required
for professional advancement or recertification that is done during the
teacher's summer "vacation" must be figured as time spent when they cannot
be doing some other sort of job while on "vacation."  This added "work"
should be included somehow (it is not totally "voluntary" and if not
completed would have a negative impact on career advancement and income) in
days "worked" per year associated with the requirements of their career, and
the income they might make during this period doing some other job should be
subtracted somehow from the annualized salary figures, unless the teachers
are paid to take the courses at a rate that equals what they make during the
school year work days, a possibility I highly doubt occurs.

Info on Idaho Public School teachers work days and hours:

http://www.idahoea.org/happenings/FYI%20-%20Hours%20which%20teachers%20put%20in%20during%20a%20school%20year.html

Dale wrote:

>I have the list that MSD provided me. I'm curious what numbers *you* are
>working off of. Anecdotal information, perhaps?

No, a little birdy from the beyond told me!

Ted