[Vision2020] I quit

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:05:21 -0700

Dear Vision 2020 community,

I don't recall any extended public resignation from this list serv since
Shahab Mesbah quit the list some time ago.  I thought I would take some
time to bid you all farewell in this part of cyberspace.  My reasons are in
part the same as Shahab's.  With a 6-month-old son, I am prioritizing my
activities, and it only seems fair to give little Oscar the time I would
otherwise spend on Vision 2020.  Vision 2020 has slipped in my priorities
so much, that it doesn't seem worth my while to continue.  I don't even
have time to lurk, much less contribute.  Of course I have some complaints
about the list that other people have expressed:  There are a number of
threads that should be private discussions, not public arguments.  The list
seems dominated by a handful of frequent posters.  Nonetheless, I think
Vision 2020 is a great asset to our community.  In addition to devoting
time to my family, I will spend time not on this, but other assets to Moscow.

As many of you know, I am Web Master of the Moscow Food Co-op:
http://www.moscowfood.coop/
I don't think I exaggerate when I say is it the greatest Food Co-op Web
site in the world, in large part because of the excellent content produced
by local community members.  The Food Co-op is one thing that makes our
community special, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I'm also participating in Radio Free Moscow, Inc.
It is quite a challenge to start a community radio station.  But in an era
when media outlets are being gobbled up and homogenized, we will have a
treasure on the airwaves:  A station that is owned and operated by the
residents of Moscow; a station that can never be bought by a media
conglomerate.

With $13,000 in the bank and the FCC go-ahead to build the station, we are
well on our way.  We need about another $15,000, as well as volunteers to
assist in our effort.  Please find out how you can help by going to
http://www.radiofreemoscow.com/support.html

It's been a fun and interesting several years on Vision 2020.  It is not a
stagnant list; people come and people go.  Time for me to take my leave.

Sincerely,

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843