[Vision2020] University dollars

Shawn Clabough shawnc@outtrack.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:30:13 -0700

Yes, I believe you when you say it's different for every individual.  My
point was exactly that - it depends on the situation, and isn't so cut and
dry as many individuals try to represent the situation.

Say for example, you buy drugs locally for $50, but the pharmacist's cost is
$35, then only $15 actually stays local.  If you could buy the same drug for
$30 through mail-order, then you have $20 left over to spend "locally".
There are many variables in this, so depending on the product, seller, etc.,
etc. it will vary - sometimes come out better, sometimes worse.

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Strand [mailto:strand@pacsim.com]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 9:28 PM
To: 'Shawn Clabough'; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] University dollars

Shawn,

You wrote:

"But what about the money saved by that prescription that the person can
then spend locally rather than it getting sent to the drug manufacturer
- which is out-of-state no matter where it's bought?"

I think you miss the issue here. Of course the products come from out of
state - nearly all products we purchase (cars, clothes, food, books,
etc...) are produced outside of Moscow. However, for drugs, there is a
pharmacist who certifies it, packages it, dispenses it, checks for possible
interactions with other drugs, and deals with the customer, insurance
companies and doctor offices. This pharmacist pulls a salary, supports a
family and purchases services and products in the community in which they
live. For mail order - that community is Beaverton Oregon.

As for "saving money" that could be spent locally - that would be nice if I
was actually saving money in this deal that I could spend in Moscow. It is
different for every individual, but for the Strand family, we will be paying
extra money no matter where we get our medications. We won't be spending
more money in this community because of this mail order deal.

This deal takes money out of our community and takes business away from our
local pharmacies. It can't be spun any other way.

Bill Strand