[Vision2020] Wenders' Diatribe

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 02 Aug 2003 01:55:28 +0000

Dale et. al.

I stated three factors that led me to conclude "inaccuracy" in Wenders'
comparison of 180 days worked for MDS teachers and 240 days worked annually
for those who pay their salaries.

1)  His figures are, according you, "indisputable" (sic) when he claims 240
days of work annually for those paying MSD salaries, but he does not tell us
what this statistic means in detail.

Of course I knew his figures were likely to be an "average" of some sort,
though Wenders did not say this exactly nor did he provide specifics as to
what this 240 day work year precisely reflects.  I have discussed this issue
with several labor statisticians and they all said the average annual number
of days worked depends on many variables that must be elucidated to really
tell you what it means.  Does this 240 day work year include all the part
time working students at the U of I who contribute to local taxes that help
pay MSD salaries?  Does it include the wealthy property owners who do not
work a regular salaried or hourly job yet pay huge property taxes that
contribute to MSD salaries?  How does it reflect overtime over 40 hours a
week or over 8 hours a day?  For example, does it reflect work done at a
rate of 8 hours a day, and average the very long days of seasonal work like
farming or fire fighting, so that the hours worked by these workers are
spread out over "work" days as though they worked 8 hours a day?  Does it
include the retired or the disabled or the very wealthy who do not work at
all yet still contribute to taxes that pay MSD salaries?

2)  His statement was "inaccurate" because MSD teachers really work more
than 180 days out of the year if you include all that is required of them in
their career.  This point has been repeated and analyzed by myself and
others on this list before.  I have not yet heard a convincing refutation of
this point.

3)  There is "inaccuracy" in comparing the work of public school teachers
with the workforce as a whole, and not with other well educated
professionals.  It is common for well educated professionals of various
kinds to get more pay for fewer hours than many other unskilled workers.
Certainly you understand the logic of this in the marketplace?  Therefore to
compare MSD salaries and days worked with all workers, and not with other
skilled professional workers, which is exactly what Wenders was doing in his
length of work year comparison, is "inaccurate."  You could make the same
argument for a doctor or lawyer who makes 100 dollars and hour and in a few
months of part time work makes more money than the average worker in a year.
  What a bloated income they have!  Look at the time off!  We should lower
their rate of pay!

If only I could walk into my local lawyer or doctors office and demand a
discount!

When the free market allows such high rates of pay, you may find it far more
palatable, I assume?

As I wrote before, the lack of comparison between the incomes of top
professionals in other fields with the incomes of public school teachers is
a glaring oversight in your attempt to show that MSD teachers are overpaid.

Or do you just think the work of a public school teacher is not important
enough or does not require enough skill to justify a comparison with doctors
and lawyers?  That the children are not worth paying for the best and
brightest to teach them?  Because we all know the best and the brightest are
on average going to seek the career that pays the best!

I am all for reforming the system in some way to reward the best teachers
financially and not rewarding the less successful as much.

But from what I have gathered in your argument, you think even the best
performing teachers at MSD are overpaid when they are at the top of the
salary grid?  Correct me if I am wrong, because if I am, then all this
discussion boils down to is how to only reward financially the best teachers
and not the weak performers.

Ted