[Vision2020] Wenders' Diatribe

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:49:46 -0700

Bill wrote:

> I just want to make certain I understand your math here and
> the numbers you are using. From what I understand you are saying:
>
> 1. The average MSD salary is $40,000

Actually, it was $42,842 for last year. It was rounded (down) to the nearest
$10k.

> 2. In addition there are 26% benefits

28.6%

> 3. Required work days are 180 days as compared to 240 days
> for the average worker

They instruct 168-170 days per year. Then they have mandatory training days
that add up to a total of 180 days required in the classroom.

> So the annualized "salary" as you calculate:
>
> ($40,000)*(240/180) + ($40,000)*(0.26) = $63,733
>
> Did I get your math right?

Very close.

The other thing that I *underestimated* was the total compensation by
assuming that PERSI applied to only salary+, whereas it applies to both
salary and current benefits.

Sue Driskill at MSD verified that the numbers here were *underestimated*.

So, it's closer to $65k; but I'll have to recalculate those extra benefits.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho