[Vision2020] Future Problem Solving Program

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:06:25 -0700

Thank you, Mr. Strand.  It is nice to see somebody stand up for the Moscow
School District and give these student the recognition they so richly
deserve.  Could you provide me (privately) Carolyn Tragesser's and/or
Charlene Jakich's e-mail address?

I will contribute, and I challenge subscribers to meet, my donation of
$100.00 toward this cause.

Our kids, our future

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Strand [mailto:strand@pacsim.com]
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 7:46 AM
To: 'Vision2020'
Subject: [Vision2020] Future Problem Solving Program

Hi Folks,

With all of our discussion regarding the quality of our public schools, I
thought I would take the chance to post some information regarding the
International Competition for Future Problem Solvers. The Future Problem
Solving Program is a yearlong, extra-curricular educational program for
Junior and Senior High School students where the students research, discuss,
and solve problems we may all face in the future. During the past academic
year, the students researched and worked on nanotechnology and DNA
identification. Approximately 250,000 students from all over the world (USA,
Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Korea) are involved in this program.

At the state competition in Boise on April 4-5, MSD students took 1st place
in both junior high and high school divisions, along with 2nd in the junior
high division and 3rd in the senior high division. The schools also took
several 1st,  2nd and 3rd place positions in two different individual
competitions.

Because of their performance, the MSD students have been invited to the
international competition in Connecticut June 4-8. The students have already
have raised $5,000 of the $13,000 they need to cover flights, registration,
lodging and meals. They are now seeking contributions from area businesses
and individuals. Checks can be made payable to either Moscow Junior High
School FPS (send to the school in care of Coach Carolyn Tragesser), to
Moscow High School FPS (send to the school in care of Coach Charlene
Jakich), or to Moscow School District FPS in care of Carolyn Tragesser at
MJHS, 1410 East D St. (moneys will be distributed proportionately (moneys
will be distributed unless a specific school is named).

My company has received more detail information (including a list of the
winning students). If you would like any additional information, please
email and I will forward the letter we received. I encourage all interested
parties to support our students in these types of creative endeavors.

Have a great weekend.

Bill Strand

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com