[Vision2020] the future of this list

Bill London london@moscow.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:31:55 -0700

On Thursday, April 10, I posted a message offering V2020 subscribers a
chance to "vote" on the future of this list.

Faced with the continuing and malicious postings from Douglas Stambler,
several subscribers had asked me to "ban" his postings. A ban on
Stambler (or others in future) is technically possible (though it is
likely not foolproof, as Stambler or others think of more devious
methods to skirt those regulations and post to the list).

As I noted in that message, neither our generous hosts First Step nor I
intend to make such a decision based upon our own preferences.  It is
the subscribers of this list who have to make that choice.  Therefore, I
asked for a response from the members: should we continue as a totally
open forum or should we begin to control/moderate the postings to the
list.

And when I sent that posting asking for "votes" on whether to begin
moderating the list, the group consensus seemed clear.  By a more than
two to one margin, the vote was for continuing the open forum.  I
counted six for blocking Stambler and 17 against.

I do not think this conversation is closed, and would welcome further
input.  But I also think that it indicates that the membership values
the freedom associated with this list in its present form.

For the record, my own personal opinion is that the inherent values of
an open forum far outweigh the minor inconvenience of deleting some
messages.
BL