[Vision2020] Palouse Mall planting

Bill London london@moscow.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:58:23 -0700

Has anyone else wondered why the Palouse Mall has still not planted the
trees and shrubs it promised to plant in the buffer strip along the
Pullman highway?
This planting was agreed to by the mall after they were busted for their
illegal Sunday morning tree removal three (yup, three) years ago.
I called Gary Riedner, Moscow City Supervisor, to ask what was
happening.  After all, I remember the Moscow City Council vowing that
the planting would be completed last spring.
Riedner told me that, sure enough, the city is "committed to planting
this season."
The problem lies in a turf war issue between the city and the university
(which owns the mall property).  The officials of both agencies are
worrying about the city's ability to regulate the university, Riedner
said.  The issue is made more difficult by the recent major personnel
changes at the university, he added.
Riedner plans to meet with university officials the week of April 21.
Perhaps we will know more after that.
BL