[Vision2020] Logos and Contradictions

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:23:35 +0000

Dale and All:

WOW!  This Logos school board thing really took off.  I sense a bit of
pleasure from some of the significant players who support Logos, Christ
Church, and St. Andrews, that they are drawing such attention.

I don't think Bill London though was really being "intolerant," he just has
strong feelings that it is wrong to ban women from participation in such an
important role in society as serving on a school board.  At any rate, I
think there is something wrong with it, however much it is dressed up in
legal concerns and what I would call "theological rationalizations."

I have not talked to Bill about exactly what he thinks on this issue, so I
speak from conjecture.

However, I do not advocate "regime change" at Logos.  I'll leave this
extreme application of absolute right and wrong to those who hold the keys
to eternity... like the "born again" leader of a certain nation.

A person can have strong feelings of right and wrong without being an
"intolerant" person.  Indeed, if strong values of right and wrong was how
intolerance was defined, all believers in the Ten Commandments would also be
"intolerant," would they not?

Words can be twisted in various ways, and language is not the precise
vehicle for logic that some think it is.  Thus we get caught in spirals of
meaning, circular contradictory traps, all all ideologies are prone to some
kind of self contradiction, whether it be agnostic progressives or theistic
fundamentalists, or those who promote "diversity" as a valuable aspect of
society and institutions, whatever their theology or lack of it.

This may considered way off the subject, but really it relates to the
contradictions we all get snared in:

Consider the following logical puzzle:

Consider the class of all classes that are not members of themselves.  Then
ask, is this class a member of itself?  If it is a member of itself, it is a
member of the class of all classes that are not members of themselves, so it
CANNOT be a member of itself.  If is not a member of itself, it is a member
of the class of all classes that that are not members of themselves,
therefore it MUST be a member of the class of all classes that are not
members of themselves.

Here we have a simple example of the logical flaws in using the tools of
ordinary language that lead people to state absurdities.

"Logos" indeed!

Ted