[Vision2020] Metaphor (was Logos school's all-male board)

Doug Jones credenda@moscow.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:25:11 -0400

Joan Opyr wrote:

> You might be interested to know that the Trinity, according to Gregory
of
> Nyssa, is itself a metaphor--an approximation of infinite Divinity
suitable
> to weak and imperfect human understanding.  Any theological system
which
> attempts to turn a metaphor into fact is likely to find itself
committing
> absurdities.  I'm certainly surprised to find you of all people
confusing
> mythos with logos.  That's a mistake the ancients would never have
made.

What a country! What a discussion list! Gregory of Nyssa is actually
invoked in a discussion over local politics. I can die now.    (hey, I
heard that)

Certainly you're not suggesting that Gregory believed the Trinity was
some sort of decorative fiction. Like all of historic Christianity, he
argued that it is ultimate reality.

Gregory of Nyssa's observation "we do not know of any differences by way
of superiority and inferiority in attributes which express our
conceptions of the Divine nature"
(http://www.piney.com/HsTrinGregNyssa.html) -- is a nice tie in to the
local discussion.

Even more importantly, I loved your line "I'm certainly surprised to
find you of all people confusing mythos with logos.  That's a mistake
the ancients would never have made." That's right at the heart of the
clash between Christianity and classical culture. Classical culture
invented their version of logos (controllable, linear rationalism)
because they couldn't handle the richness and reality of mythos
("absurdities" as Joan says). Christian culture came along with the
claim that a different mythos and logos are identical and real. Ultimate
reality is a substantive, real metaphor called the Trinity, which is in
turn reflected in the created order. Scandal. Horror. Boycotts.

For what it's worth, Credenda/Agenda did a whole issue on metaphor last
year. It strikes right at the center of the current discussion. Here are
brief articles from some Vision 2020 contributors that might help some
make sense out of the ongoing disagreements:

"God the Riddler" by Doug Jones
http://www.credenda.org/issues/14-1poetics.php

"Bad Poets" by Nate Wilson
http://www.credenda.org/issues/14-1flotsam.php

"The Metaphorical Word" by Douglas Wilson
http://www.credenda.org/issues/14-1thema.php

Doug Jones