[Vision2020] Logos School Question

Saundra Lund sslund@moscow.com
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:45:37 -0700

I've been reading the "Logos School's all-male board" thread with great
interest.  The notion doesn't surprise me.  I strongly disagree with it,
of course  :-), and there's a *reason* (actually, many reasons) my child
doesn't attend Logos.  However, diversity of beliefs makes the world go
'round, and Logos is a private institution.

Mostly, I'm saddened that the great minds involved in such a notion
aren't capable of more creative thinking.  I firmly believe that there
are a great many ways Logos could accomplish the goal of more paternal
participation in their children's lives, and especially in their
academic lives, without excluding women from such an important role.
Ah, well . . .

I do, however, have a question about Logos School I'm wondering if could
be answered in this forum?

Several years ago, a very good friend opted to send her child to Logos
school, beginning in kindergarten, I think.  About five years ago, she
told me that corporal punishment was still being used.  I was horrified,
but IIRC, she knew that fact prior to enrolling her child and she had no
objection to the policy.  FWIW, she was very pleased with the education
her child was receiving, and AFAIK, the child still attends Logos, so I
assume she continues to be satisfied, although we've lost touch through
the ensuing years.

Can anyone tell me if the information she provided me was correct, and
if corporal punishment is still being used at Logos School?  I've tried
looking at the web site & didn't find anything there, and since we've
got so many folks knowledgeable about Logos School in this forum, I'm
hoping for some accurate information.  I'd like to ensure that my
private objections to Logos School are based on reality & not outdated
information.

In the interest of fairness, I do want to commend Logos School for
taking their job of *education* seriously.  The school, at least,
provides summer school for their students (for an additional fee, I'm
sure), which is something MSD *doesn't* offer to struggling students at
any price, at least for seventh & eighth graders  :-(

BTW, does anyone happen to know of summer school resources (excluding
Logos) for a seventh grader who will most likely fail math (we're hoping
& praying it's just math she'll fail . . . )???

Respectfully,
Saundra  Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke