[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:22:37 -0700

Debbie,

How does 3PM on Friday sound? We can go to Moscow Police Department and then
the Moscow High School Library. We can check the records of the Police
Officers in 1991 and the MHS yearbook. Then we will not have to fight over
who is write on this issue? Or send me another time that is more suitable
for you. If not I understand why, you know you are wrong. Probably because
you didn't live in Moscow in 1991, or maybe you did and just thought all the
hate crimes were just fine an dandy.

I am just curious though, how it is that you can stand before the entire
Moscow CIty Council on local Public television and say that the Moscow
Nudity Ordinance is wrong because it puts the interpretation of enforcement
on the Moscow Police Officers and then defend them when when they ignore
investigations against missing gay students?

Or when they ignore hispanic students that are being chased, called spics,
and then beaten up, such as on Mardi Gras 2000?

Or how about when they ignore when students at UI are trying to get Asian
students to move out of their hall.

Or when women are being harassed by police officers because of their top.

Or when they say they can't do anything about someone chasing someone else
because they are both in a public space?

Just curious as to how you can defend actions and inactions of others that
are in violations of others rights and not just women?

I answered your condescending questions below:

Donovan Arnold wrote:
According to the "Idaho Administrative Code" Section 50 Part 02 and titled
Education Requirements" the minimum requirements for a police officer are
"Graduation from high school or having passed the General Educational

Debbie Wrote:
>Yes, those are 'minimum' requirements. Not maximum, as your '1/2 of MPD
>only have GED's' implies...

Donovan Wrote:
Yes, that was my point, you said they could not get in with just a GED, this
proves otherwise.

The reason I say many of the Moscow Police department had personnel only
> > had a GED is because me, my brother,
> > and sister knew four or five officers that dropped out from our class
>and were now officers telling us not to smoke because we were under 18:

Debbie Wrote:
And how would people who had dropped out of your class (and, therefore,
>are the same age) would be telling you not to smoke if they were the same
>age? Minimum age requirement is 21.

Donovan Wrote:
Wrong! the minimum age is 18, not 21. This was 1991 remember:

> > * Special NOTE ( in 1991 we were suffering from a recession, many HS
> > students dropped out of school to work to help out their
>families,filling in

the many vacancies the Moscow Police department had, Idaho state law does

Debbie Wrote:

>Wow. A recession and the only people MPD can find to hire are high school
>dropouts, under the age of 18!

Donovan Wrote:

Drop outs can be 17, or 18. The age that they were, yes. They drop at 17 or
18, and by 18 or 19 they are in the force, simple mathematics. 17+1 = 18 and
18+1= 19

My sister was 20 and graduated, my brother 18 a senior, and I was 16 a
Junior, we all knew them, they were around our age.

Many police officers don't stay, and thus they have to hire younger people,
believe it or not, the Moscow Police Department does not pay much so young
people join, get some experience, and then move to get more pay, even during
a recession Moscow can't keep good cops because they pay so horribly

Debbie wrote:
>Kaminsky & Associates field training as required for state level officers
>is a CLASS. The Kaminsky & Associates field training METHOD is what is
>used for field training for MPD and LCSO. This is how field training
>officers help teach new officers. Or did you think these high school
>dropout 17 year olds just show up for work, get a patrol car and zip off
>to contaminate crime scenes on their first day?

Donovan Wrote:
This is irrelevant, Kaminsky test is only 5 hours long, 8 hours if you take
the specialized course. I hardly find this detailed and skilled training.

Debbie Wrote:
>You simply made blanket statements about the education of police officers,
>implying they are all GED possessing idiots incapable of solving any crime
>as successfully as the multitude of armchair detectives out there.
>Armchair detectives are also blessed with hindsight, which police officers
>are not. Easy to second guess someone after more facts come to light. I
>don't see why you are so defensive of any statements you interpret as
>ignorant, racist/sexist/homophobic remarks and yet turn around and make
>the same statements about another group of people. Why don't you see that
>stereotypes cannot be applied in ANY situation?

Donovan Wrote
Well, wouldn't be hypocritical for me to defend the actions of a department
that were ignorant, racist, sexist, or homophobic if I was against them?

Nor did I make a blanket statement that the entire police department was
stupid, or arrogant. I said half the police department had only a GED. Not
the best of education for investigation of missing/homicide case. You said
they had to have more education, I showed that was not true. Then you spread
it out. If you disbelieve that the Moscow Police had a sizable number of
officers on the streets in 1991 with just a GED, then lets go check it out.
I don't have a problem with this. Otherwise, for whatever reason, you just
want to argue about it. The facts are there, right in the Moscow Police
Department. And I would be more then happy to go there and research it with
you.

Why don't you investigate why it is that the Moscow Police Department did
not question his neighbors, friends, boyfriends, coworkers, bar buddies,
classmates?

Why did they not consider a shoe on the highway a clue? Or how about that he
left his keys in his car and his wallet on his car seat, and his car
unlocked?

This doesn't seem like they really care, or they don't have the education.

So which is it Debbie, are they not caring about missing gay students, or
are they not receiving the proper education they need to ask these simple
questions or catch on to these obvious clues?

Donovan Arnold