[Vision2020] Logos School's all-male board

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:57:11 -0700

I wonder if there isn't another possible way to frame this discussion . . .

Surely it is the right of Logos School's Board to determine what the
qualifications for serving on the School Board are.  I don't think anyone
intends to dispute that right.

Community members like Bill (and others) may well be interested in just what
prompts that decision, though, without wishing to trample in any way on the
rights of those involved.  For example, Dan Carscallen theorizes that
excluding women will make men more eager to serve, a motivation he lauds.
Bill wonders how the Board might explain to their daughters (and wives,
maybe) their exclusion.  These aren't questions of whether or not the School
Board *may* make the decision, but why they would choose to.

If, as Doug suggests, Logos School is at last attracting community
attention, then surely this is a fine opportunity to help the community
understand it better.  If women on School Boards are forbidden by Christian
ritual law, as pork and shellfish are by Jewish ritual law, I expect a
number of people would be interested to hear about it.

Melynda Huskey

"We utterly deny all outward wars and strife, and fightings with outward
weapons, for any end, or under any pretense whatsoever: this is our
testimony to the whole world."
Quaker Declaration of 1660