[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 12:35:17 -0800

If I may, I'd like to shed some light on the Arboretum hanging.  It was
originally reported as a lynching of an African American male.  The national
press pounced on the story, and the nation was told of a racially motivated
lynching in Moscow.  As the facts emerged, it was an Arab student, and he
hanged himself.  It was a suicide.  But, of course, the same national press
that reported a lynching saw no reason to correct the story.  In this
particular instance, there was no hate crime, just the sad story of a young
man who took his own life.

              Carl Westberg Jr.