[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

Bryan E. Burke wheelz@turbonet.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:58:31 -0800

Sunil,

I agree . . . but I want to add a caveat and explore another issue.

The rather meager support and endorsement that we have from other
governments for this war OVERESTIMATES the amount of support we have around
the world.  Most of the people of these countries (whose governments
support us) don't support this war, and many of them are furious at their
governments for endorsing the war and lending support to the US government.
 I suspect that many of the political leaders in these countries will not
be around after their next election cycle.

We could end up with essentially zero international support in a few years.
 However, it will likely take years (if ever) to clean up the mess in Iraq,
and we will be defending ourselves from terrorism for decades.

The accepted wisdom is that the international community is necessary to
successfully fight terrorism, and that moderate Islam is very important to
defeat radical Islam.  It appears we may have little of either of these on
our side.   I find that to be very scary.

Sincerely,

Bryan E. Burke

********

Not so fast, Mr. Hansen.

Don't pretend that we didn't make the choice to go to war.  No matter what
rhetoric the White House wants to put out there, we chose this war.  We
didn't have to go forward with it.  A conscious decision was made to pursue
this policy.  Those people are dead because they were fleeing a war WE
started,  US, not them.  I tell you what, you go explain to any relatives
the folks in that car may have left that we're not responsible for those
deaths, and see if you can sell it to them.  Pack a lunch, it's going to
take a while.

Last week you said you supported Mr. Bush's foreign policy.  Let's be clear
that it's a policy that won no significant support overseas after the U.K,
setting aside Micronesia.  We can try to blame the French, but the bottom
line is that we couldn't convince anyone else that Hussein was such a
threat that imminent war was the only choice.

I think we all understand that war is about killing and dying.  I think the
questions that need answering is Why was it necessary for this to happen
now?  And what is next?  Are those people going to feel 'liberated' after
this happens?   I doubt it.  That's one reason we are going to leave large
numbers of troops in Iraq when the war is over, troops who will die in
small numbers from terrorist attacks.  What for?  Can you tell me?  What is
the political goal we intend to achieve?

I understood Mr. Kaag's explanation of what happened, and agreed with it
except for his stunningly callous comment about improving the gene pool.
Were the babies such bad drivers, or so illiterate, that they needed
cleansing from the gene pool?  Is that a comment you want to stand by, Mr.
Kaag, or was it just in the heat of the moment?

There will be many more incidents like this.  We had best give up the
pretense that we expect Iraqis are all going to be grateful to us.

And no, I do not and will not call the troops in the field baby killers.
But I do hold our leadership responsible for this.

Sunil

available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the Palouse
since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com