[Vision2020] A few statistics

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:30:58 -0800

<P>Bill,</P>
<P>I don't support those other subsidies either. I think it is stupid to subsidize farmers not to grow food, or to subsidize tobacco and tax people again to run cheesy commercials to get people to not use tobacco. </P></DIV>
<P>In terms of roads and education, that is a community service that is free and accessible to everyone. Except for Idaho roads that cost money to drive on because the&nbsp;potholes rip apart your transmission.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Airlines are a profitable business that is not&nbsp; free and accessible to all&nbsp;who use it.&nbsp;If it was free then I would be for&nbsp;giving tax dollars to it, but it is not.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>The reason that airlines are not profitable is because there are too many of them. If their are too many merchandise stores in your neighborhood should we continue to pay them all because it is not profitable to be in retail sales? Should we pay Kmart and Emporium to stay&nbsp;in business? Hell NO, we should not!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Let a few of the airlines&nbsp;go out of business like the rest of the businesses in the world in competition and let the stronger ones survive, and they will become profitable because they will pick up the rest of the business by the others going out of business. Do we really need 50&nbsp;different airlines when airline travel has decreased by more then 20%?&nbsp;We give more money to Airlines then Idaho gets in its entire yearly budget. That is absurd.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan Arnold&nbsp;<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Bill Strand" <STRAND@PACSIM.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] A few statistics
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:39:06 -0800
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I’m a bit uncertain as to why we are suddenly picking on the airlines. You
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a subsidized entity. My tax dollars
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;help pay the salaries of a lot of people on this list. How about farm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;subsidies? Who pays for the roads you drive on?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;But like the farming industry, the road infrastructure and the educational
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;system - the airline industry is a strategic part of the American economy.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Many times, strategic decisions are made that are independent of the “bottom
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;line”. That doesn't’t make the airlines an “automatic” for receiving
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;government aid, but we need to think a little more holistically then just
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the profit margin.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Bill Strand
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;available by First Step Internet, serving the communities of the Palouse
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;since 1994. http://www.fsr.net mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>