[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:57:24 GMT

Melynda Huskey stated:

"What I find so painfully horrific about this situation, which will multiply
across Iraq as the war continues, is the destruction of everyone touched by
it.  Those children are dead.  A pregnant woman was wounded but survived.  A
man was seriously wounded and is expected to die.  None of them was armed.

And a group of very young soldiers--the average age of U.S. soldiers in this
war is 19--will never recover from what they were forced by circumstance to
do.   They will live with the blood of children on their hands.  What did they
do to deserve that?  What rhetoric of liberation, or "support for the troops"
can heal them?  Their humanity has been crushed, and they are as innocent as
those dead children."

Set your watches back 30 years and this could be considered a direct quote
about Vietnam with one major exception.  Returning troops were called "Baby
Killers".

As much as I seriously hate saying this, Ms. Huskey, war is about killing and
dying.  You shouldn't be chastising us for feeling this way.  You should place
your blame in those that put these women and children in harms way:  The Iraqi
Regime.

Which is more acceptable to you, Ms. Huskey?  Pitying those women and children
that were forced into harm's way and died as a result?  Or packing up the
belongings of three or four more dead soldiers to be sent to their widows?

As much as we would love to believe that war is sanitized and painless as CNN
and ABC News present it, the ugly truth is that war isn't.

Take care and have hope,

Tom HAnsen
Moscow,
Idaho