[Vision2020] Football

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:49:38 -0800 (PST)

As the "minor league" for the NFL, NCAA football is
big business for sure. But I'm not convinced football
programs in general "guzzle" resources at the expense
of other programs at the University level.
Surprisingly, most of them more than pay their own
way.

I didn't sign in to read the complete NY TIMES
article, but big University football organizations
spend big sums mainly because they take in huge sums
from TV coverage. The PAC-10 will take in around $30
from the bowl games this year. That doesn't include
what they've already received as a result of coverage
of regular season games. The lucrative PAC 10 coverage
is of course why UI finds itself(usually) mismatched
against the Ducks, Huskies, Beavers, etc.

If there is a place where football teams really take
inordinate amounts of resources without generating
more, it's more likely in the high schools.
    TL

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/22/magazine/22FOOTBALL.html?pagewanted=1&8hpi