[Vision2020] Hardships at U of I?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 20:38:29 +0000

Tom Hansen, et. al.

You wrote your comment was not meant to be "taken seriously" and was meant
to bring a "slight degree of brevity" to the discussion.  I assume you meant
"levity?"  Or was your aim to be brief?

I will assume that if your goal was to avoid seriousness, you meant to be
frivolous, so "levity" indeed was the word you meant.

As far as your comments regarding the state of academia at the U of I, you
can't be serious!  Or is this more "levity?"

There has been major downsizing in many departments with early retirement
offers and profs. just plain jumping ship for other universities.  These
vacant positions are then sometimes not filled.  Course offerings and
graduate programs have been scaled back in some cases.  And of course,
shifting work loads to lecturers and TA's is a means of covering the work
load and avoiding use of tenured profs.

You must have heard about the denial of medical benefits to certain
lecturers at the U of I, which caused quite a stir.  The benefits were
restored, but not without a fight from the U of I English department,
another department that has shrunk dramatically the past few years.
I have personally discussed the downsizing of the U of I English Dept. with
a tenured prof. in that department, so my facts are correct.

I also know a graduate student at the U of I who has been working closely on
academic work with a Philosophy Dept. Prof. who stated that there is
discussion in the U of I administration of assimilating the Philosophy Dept.
into other departments.

You don't appear very informed about the hardships currently being
experienced by employees at the U of I, or the plans on the table for more
"downsizing" if needed.

Ted

>From: "Tom Hansen" <thansen@moscow.com>
>To: "Ted Moffett" <ted_moffett@hotmail.com>, <dougwils@moscow.com>,
><jpool@moscow.com>
>Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Naiveté vs Paranoia
>Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:08:24 -0800
>
>No, now, Mr. Moffett.  The quote you took from me was a mere signature (You
>can tell, because it was posted after my name) to bring a slight degree of
>brevity to this discussion.  In no way was it meant to be taken seriously.
>
>You can now move on with the rest of your life, Mr. Moffett.  Your paranoia
>is all too obvious.
>
>As I am an emplyee at UI and keep up on current events at the university, I
>have only heard, read, or discussed the loss of three tenured professorhip
>positions being eliminated (from the College of Mines).
>
>Tom Hansen
>Moscow, Idaho

Tom, et. al.

You really are funny!

You wrote your comment was not meant to be "taken seriously" and was meant
to bring a "slight degree of brevity" to the discussion.  I assume you meant
"levity?"  Or was your aim to be brief?

I will assume that if your goal was to avoid seriousness you meant to be
frivilous, so "levity" indeed was what you meant.

Considering some of the insulting and slanderous posts you have submitted to
vision2020 that seriously hurt the feelings of people I know personally,
I'll dismiss your comments with a shrug on the assumption they originate
from a basically good intentioned person who needs to be given some slack
due to "issues."

As far as your comments regarding the state of academia at the U of I, you
must be kidding!  Their has been major downsizing in many departments with
early retirement offers and professors just plain jumping ship for other
universities, and these positions are then not filled.  Course offerings and
graduate programs have been scaled back in some cases.  And of course,
shifting work loads to lecturers and TA's and hiring non-tenured professors
is a means of covering the work load and avoiding use of tenured Profs.  You
must have heard about the denial of medical benefits to certain lecturers at
the U of I, that caused quite a stir.  The benefits were restored, but not
without a fight from the U of I English department, another department that
has shrunk dramatically the past few years!!  I know a graduate student at
the U of I who is working closly with a Philosophy Dept. Prof who stated
that their is discussion in the U of I administration of assimilating the
Philosphy Dept. into other departments.

You don't appear very informed about the hardships currently being
experienced by employees at the U of I.

Ted

>From: "Tom Hansen" <thansen@moscow.com>
>To: "Ted Moffett" <ted_moffett@hotmail.com>, <dougwils@moscow.com>,
><jpool@moscow.com>
>Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Naiveté vs Paranoia
>Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:08:24 -0800
>
>No, now, Mr. Moffett.  The quote you took from me was a mere signature (You
>can tell, because it was posted after my name) to bring a slight degree of
>brevity to this discussion.  In no way was it meant to be taken seriously.
>
>You can now move on with the rest of your life, Mr. Moffett.  Your paranoia
>is all too obvious.
>
>As I am an emplyee at UI and keep up on current events at the university, I
>have only heard, read, or discussed the loss of three tenured professorhip
>positions being eliminated (from the College of Mines).
>
>Tom Hansen
>Moscow, Idaho

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 3 months FREE*.
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_stopmorespam_3mf