[Vision2020] Naiveté vs Paranoia

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:45:43 +0000

Tom wrote:

>"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that they AREN'T after >you."

Naive trust in people guarantee's they're after you!!  Choice pickings for
the sophisticated scam artist, many of whom speak of God from pulpits making
unreal promises that would induce many snake oil salesman to blush.  G.
Bush's "compassionate conservative! line, for example."  Yeah, right!

Rational suspicion is the sensible response to the truth that the powerful
in business and politics are certainly out to manipulate the common person
to serve their ends.  The "common" person is usually only too happy to
oblige.

About 5 years back when I worked at the U of I, I predicted the current
decimation of academia ongoing at that august institution.  Some of the
professors I discussed this trend with at that time looked at me as though I
was paranoid, a victim of some kind of conspiracy theory.  I remember
specifically one professor at that time who thought it impossible that the
Philosophy Dept. at the U of I would be gutted, when I predicted that this
could happen.  I have heard from reliable sources that this option is now on
the table at the U of I.  It appears some of the professors I knew were
naive about forces at work in American who were working to undermine and
marginalize the power base of academia.

Ted

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf