[Vision2020] (Fwd) Wrong about the City's pay plan--maybe not

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:18:15 -0800

Priscilla:

You ask for ideas on where the city could communicate
ywhere?"  This list
is a decent place to start.   There are lots of listserves
around town and the region.   Maybe the city could offer
to provide information, notices,  etc. to listserves that
request to be in the loop. If someone  takes the time to sit
with you, why can't that individual (or others) take the
time to  pass that information along to a broader group?

The Daily News editorial for the weekend asked many
"right" questions:

	1.  What's the hurry.

	2.  What is the long-term effect on city finances?

	3.  What is the justification for comparing Moscow pay
 to Spokane and CDA (and Nampa--Vera's column)?

Although Vera's column was perhaps unnecessarily
accusatory, and you can't verify her numbers, it doesn't
mean that they were wrong or that we should dismiss her
questions either.

	1.  Will the City Supervisor's pay really be $96,000?

	2.  Is the Lewiston city manager's pay $80,000?

	3.  Is the pay so out of line currently that the increases
 are justified in light of other city needs?

	4.  Are retroactive raises appropriate?

	5.  Should there be comp time buyouts and if so at
what pay rate, current or the rate when the time was
earned?

	6.  Should the city provide a car to one employee (or
more)?

	7.  Are the "executive packages" appropriate and
necessary?

	8.  Regardless of the propriety of any specific proposed
 raise, is now the time to implement it given the condition
of the national, state, regional, and local economy?

This is an issue that will affect all taxpayers for years to
come.  Regardless of the forum, council members and the
mayor should take some time to gather th<color><param>0000,0000,0000</para=
m>e questions,
research the answers, and provide them.  The City held<color><param>0100,0=
100,0100</param>
multiple public meetings to gather input on the 1912
Center that was to involve NO public spending.  That
could certainly be another avenue to explore for providing
 information and seeking input on an issue that very
definitely involves expenditure of public funds not only
now but every year hereafter.

I think, Priscilla, that you had nothing for which you
owed an apology.  It is important that you spoke up to
give voice to those of us who have sat back on the issue
and just shook our heads.

City Council members, Mayor--please slow down, defer this
 issue until after the holidays, schedule some public
meetings, and TALK TO US through this medium and
others.

Mike Curley