[Membership] Earthjustice Is Hiring

Deborah Goldberg dgoldberg at earthjustice.org
Fri Aug 5 11:39:07 PDT 2016

Earthjustice is looking for an experienced litigator to build a docket of cases protecting human health, with a focus on water quality.  The position will be based in New York City or Washington, DC, but we welcome talented candidates from around the country.  The job announcement follows below, and I’d very much appreciate it if you would forward it to potential applicants.

Healthy Communities Staff Attorney, Water

Washington, DC or New York, NY

Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.

Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.

Earthjustice is seeking a Staff Attorney to join its Healthy Communities practice and to work closely with our Vice President of Litigation for Healthy Communities, Managing Attorneys, and other program staff to continue our very successful litigation in this area and to help develop this area of work. This program is at the heart of Earthjustice’s mission to defend the right of all people to a healthy environment and encompasses Earthjustice’s work on clean air, clean water, toxic chemicals and wastes, and related domestic and international issues. The attorney selected for this position will focus on our growing clean water practice area, but also will assist on litigation and other advocacy in our efforts to protect the environment and health in the nation’s most overburdened communities.

The successful candidate for this position would be housed in the New York or DC office but, like other attorneys, may be called on to litigate outside the home region.

Responsibilities:

 Conduct factual investigations and develop legal theories for possible advocacy or litigation; draft pleadings and briefs; and otherwise manage new and existing cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals, especially those under the Clean Water Act or state law governing water pollution, including contaminated drinking water and impaired waterways.

 Supervise the work of Associate Attorneys, Interns, and Litigation Assistants, who are part of the Litigation team.

 Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.

 Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into far-reaching, high-impact litigation strategies.

 Work closely with our water practice attorneys and help with strategic planning for our growing clean water docket and other areas of the healthy communities docket

Qualifications:

 At least eight years of litigation experience.

 Applicants must be admitted to a state bar and be willing to seek admission to the New York or Washington, DC bar.

 Experience in administrative and pre-trial proceedings (e.g., regulatory comments; discovery, including document production; preparation of fact and expert witnesses: motion practice); evidentiary hearings; and appellate litigation. Clean Water Act litigation or advocacy experience is a plus.

 Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.

 Initiative, good judgment, a collegial work style, and a strong work ethic.

 Experience working with or representing community or grassroots groups. Interest in managing a docket of environmental civil rights cases is a plus.

 A commitment to public interest work and a passion for Earthjustice’s mission.

 Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.

 Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.

 Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.

We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.

Please visit our website (http://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/34240/healthy-communities-staff-attorney-water) to apply:

Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references.

No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Please reach out to jobs at earthjustice.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application.

Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual o

Deborah Goldberg
Managing Attorney
Earthjustice Northeast Office
48 Wall Street, 19th Floor