[CLC-Discussion] Construction contracting arrangement

RPPTL CLC-Discussion clc-discussion at lists.flabarrpptl.org
Tue Oct 4 13:53:58 PDT 2022

That’s a good argument in favor of the need for subcontracting but I don’t think it definitively answers the question.  The drafters had to refer to unlicensed trades as either “contractors” or “subcontractors”.  Under the circumstances, the choice of “subcontractor” makes sense but I don’t know that means such trades can only operate as a subcontractor under a contract with a licensed GC.  The statute lists 3 prerequisites to such unlicensed work being lawful: (i) the work must be within the licensure of the CGC, CBC or CRC, (ii) the supervising contractor must be responsible for the work, and (iii) the unlicensed trade being supervised must not be performing a scope of work requiring licensure under 489.105(3)(d)-(o).  It’s my contention that if each of (i)-(iii) are satisfied, the statutory intent is met.  I recognize that one could say that the statute also uses the term “subcontractor” and you can’t fall within the statute unless the unlicensed trade is a “subcontractor”.   The best response to that argument may be to display the Trade Contract Agreement signed by the CM (as agent for Owner) and the unlicensed subcontractor.  If (i)-(iii) above are met and there are agreements in place (though not a subcontract per se) making the CM responsible for supervising the unlicensed sub trade and making the CM responsible for the sub trade’s work, it is difficult for me to believe that the CILB or a court would find anything amiss here.

Michael Gibbons
Shareholder
215 N. Eola Dr. | Orlando, FL 32801
D: 407.418.6378 | P: 407.843.4600  | Ext: 1378
Email<mailto:Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com> | Website<http://lowndes-law.com> | Bio<lowndes-law.com/people-detail/client/Michael-Gibbons> | vCard<https://lowndeslaw.dpmlocal.com/admin/vcard/generate.php?id=64>