[CLC-Discussion] unlicensed contracting question

Gibbons, Michael Michael.Gibbons at lowndes-law.com
Fri Jun 19 12:38:42 PDT 2020

Fla. Stat. s. 558.004(12) expressly states that the statute was not intended to create any new defenses unless expressly stated therein.  If the statute was intended to create a process that upon failure of the claimant to comply with it, the claimant would suffer the entire loss of its cause of action, then I would expect that intent to be clearly reflected in the terms of Ch. 558.  While Ch. 558 does require an Owner to provide pre-suit notice of a construction defect claim, it does not expressly state that non-compliance results in the loss of the Owner’s cause of action. In fact, by recognizing that an Owner may sue first without giving the notice and providing that IF that happens the remedy is a STAY of the lawsuit for 60 days, I would say that Ch. 558 pretty plainly does not support the defense of dismissal with prejudice of the Owner’s claim for failure  to comply with the notice requirements.  Lastly, rightly or wrongly, the notice provisions of Ch. 558 are tied to commencement of a lawsuit and not commencement of repairs.

Michael Gibbons
Shareholder
215 N. Eola Dr. | Orlando, FL 32801
D: 407.418.6378 | P: 407.843.4600