[CLC-Discussion] Force Majeure

Christopher Furlong chris at baconandbacon.com
Mon Jun 1 13:31:29 PDT 2020

What are the circumstances and what is the specific claim?  I do a lot of
real estate work and have had several clients (buyers and sellers,
landlords and tenants) ask similar questions.  Without specifics as to how
the Pandemic allegedly impacted the contract at issue, its hard to argue
one way or another.

For example, I represent a commercial land developer, who is party to a
hybrid build to suit contract.  The tenant has generically alleged Force
Majeure, without providing any specifics as to how it has been impacted.
If the tenant had asserted that, due to the shutdown, permitting has been
delayed or supplies are unavailable, I believe an argument could be made.
However, without such allegations, and evidence supporting the same, I’d
argue there is no basis for such a claim.

Hope the above helps,

*Christopher S. Furlong, Esquire*

*Bacon, Bacon & Furlong, P.A.*

2959 1st Avenue North

Saint Petersburg, FL 33713

Telephone: 727-327-3935

chris at baconandbacon.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email message is
intended for use of the recipient listed above.  This message may contain
information that is protected by attorney/client or other legal privilege.
Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.