[CLC-Discussion] Informal poll on expert witnesses

lan at lwwhiteattorney.com lan at lwwhiteattorney.com
Wed Sep 11 08:02:22 PDT 2019

Before I respond to the question, please excuse a brief diatribe. Even worse
(at least from my perspective) is the situation in arbitrations. I am
privileged to serve as a AAA construction and commercial arbitrator, and
experts are common. To recite what we all know, experts aren't fact
witnesses. They are testifying about their opinions, which can even be based
on hearsay which would be in itself inadmissible so long as it is the type
of thing on which experts rely. The touchstone for all of this is whether it
will assist the trier of fact. You would be disturbed at how often "expert"
testimony is so ridiculously overstated the arbitrators wind up almost
insulted that anyone thinks they might believe that nonsense. Don't
misunderstand. I've been in some cases where the experts were great teachers
about the Florida Building Codes, or construction related issues, or other
technical issues, and the experts were truly helpful. Unfortunately, I've
been in others where the testimony is so obviously biased it is simply a
waste of everyone's time.

End of monologue. To respond to your question, I like the idea. I have one
reservation. Because judge's are supposed to be neutral, letting them pick a
name unilaterally might be viewed as favoring one side or the other (however
inadvertent ). We arbitrators are always painfully aware that one of the few
grounds under either the Federal Arbitration Act or the Revised Florida
Arbitration Code for vacating an arbitral award is bias. What about a tweak.
Have the parties agree on the name, or if they can't, they agree on three
names and the trier of fact picks one. If they don't even do that, then the
court issues an order describing the expert needed and some third person
(the Clerk of the Court?) appoints the expert.

How does one go about such a rule change?

Langfred W. White, Esq.

Board Certified in Construction Law

Fellow of the Construction Lawyers

Society of America

     constructionlaw     2019_AAA_logo signature   CLSA Fellow small

Law Offices of Langfred W. White, PA

P. O. Box 8334

Clearwater, FL 33758-8334

Phone: (727) 422-5064

email:  <mailto:lan at lwwhiteattorney.com> lan at lwwhiteattorney.com

This electronic message is confidential and may be subject to an
attorney-client privilege or an attorney work product privilege, or may
otherwise be exempt from discovery under applicable federal and state law.
It is intended for use only by the named addressee.  If you receive this in
error or are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and notify
the sender via return e-mail or telephone at (727) 422-5064.  Pursuant to
IRS Circular 230, please be advised this message, and any advice contained
in it, is not intended to be used and may not be used to avoid any tax
penalties that may be imposed on you.