[CLC-Discussion] Can Fraudulent Lien be heard by jury?

Bruce Partington bpartington at clarkpartington.com
Wed Oct 9 06:19:56 PDT 2019

I don't think language in a statute can override a constitutional right to a jury trial if one is properly and timely demanded, and on disputed facts. It's not often we get into things in this type of law of constitutional moment, but this is one of them.

There is a bit of the old law (jury trial) versus equity (no jury trial) distinction here -- a jury cannot foreclose a lien, and a jury could not make the legal finding that a lien is unenforceable, but it can make the predicate factual findings (on a lien foreclosure, the amount due, improvement or not, etc.; on a fraudulent lien, the question of "willful exaggeration" or "not furnished", and even damages). But the equitable remedies (ordering a foreclosure sale or declaring a lien unenforceable based upon predicate factual findings by the jury) can only be by a court. The fraudulent lien statute provides a mix of legal and equitable remedies, so I think the jury addresses the factual findings and legal remedies (damages) and the court then rules on the equitable remedies (unenforceable lien).

Bruce Partington | Shareholder
bpartington at clarkpartington.com | (850) 432-1399

CLARK PARTINGTON
Office: (850) 434-9200 | Fax: (850) 432-7340
125 East Intendencia Street, 4th Floor
Pensacola, Florida 32502
clarkpartington.com