[CLC-Discussion] HB 1247

Jeffrey Price jeff at npw-law.com
Wed Mar 20 07:10:03 PDT 2019

What is the purpose of a Notice of Non-Payment? (NNP)
I understand it to be just that – a NOTICE.

Currently we all know that the NNP must “be provided” within 90 day of last work and includes:

The name and address of the lienor;

The name and address of the surety;

Description of the services provided, or materials furnished;

The address of the real property improved;

The amount due and unpaid; and

The lienor’s signature.

This bill ups the notice requirement for the NNP (additions in RED) and we are no longer filing a “notice” but a full-blown claim – a lawsuit in all but name.
The name of the contractor and the contractor’s address;
The name of the surety and the surety’s address;
The nature of the labor or services performed;
The nature of labor or services to be performed, if known;
The materials furnished;
The materials to be furnished, if known;
The amount received by the lienor;
The amount due the lienor and the amount to become due, if known;
Copies of the following documents if they exist;
The lienor’s contract or purchase order and any amendments thereto;
Invoices, pay requests, bills of lading, delivery receipts, or similar documents; and
A statement of account reflecting all payments requested and received for the labor, services, or materials.
Written verification of the notice of nonpayment in accordance with s. 92.525. (Pursuant to s. 92.525, a person who knowingly makes a false written declaration is guilty of a third degree felony); and
The lienor’s signature and address.
Clearly including all the extra material amounts to a burden – contracts can run dozens of pages, invoices, pay requests, bills of lading?

Next, we have a sneaky way to file a Conditional Payment Bond
The bill provides an additional way for a contractor to record a conditional bond.
The bill also provides that failing to properly record a conditional payment bond does not preclude the bond from being a conditional payment bond. That’s a change
The bill provides that in lieu of listing the bond as a conditional payment bond on the NOC and recording the bond with the NOC,
a contractor may record a notice identifying the bond as a conditional payment bond with the bond attached before the contractor begins work on the project in a separate filing.

Now we get to look in additional locations for information – that makes things easier – not.

Here is exactly what the Legislative Substantive Analysis says:

“C. DIRECT ECONOMIC IMPACT ON PRIVATE SECTOR:
Unknown. It is unclear if the additional provisions required in order to serve a notice of nonpayment will have an effect on the private sector. The new provisions may make it more difficult for a subcontractor to file a notice of non-payment. Other provisions may make it easier to collect attorney’s fees for the prevailing contractor if a claim is made.”

Sorry for wasting your time, but I think this bill has problems.