[CLC-Discussion] 489 Question

Jeffrey Price jeff at npw-law.com
Thu Jan 18 07:12:36 PST 2018

From my position (not having to defend anything) I would say no, provided the developer is using “the services of a qualified contractor certified or registered pursuant to the requirements of this chapter have been or will be retained for the purpose of constructing or completing such residences.”

It is confusing because the first part, “that offers to sell or sells completed residences on property” appears to speak of only finished homes, while the second part clearly describes constructing a home.

Thus, we have an internally inconsistent rule (good job drafters – a lawyer full-employment rule!) and you pick your poison. If the developer is not designating the specific contractor (the choice is left to the buyer later) then at the time of contract signing, it is impossible to put any license number on the contract. If the developer has a list of captive (preferred) contractors that the buyer must choose from, then I’d list them all by name and number.

Jeffrey L. Price, Esq.
Florida Bar Board Certified - Construction Law
Florida Civil-law Notary
Niesen|Price|Worthy|Campo, PA
5216 SW 91st Drive  Gainesville, FL 32608
Ph (352) 373-9031   Fax (352) 373-9099
http://npw-law.com<http://npw-law.com/>

[npw-logo-circle-orange-medium][ConstructionLaw small logo]    [http://www.boyd-jenerette.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/nacln12.gif]                          This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify me by telephone, delete this communication, and destroy any copies of it.  Thank you.