[CLC-Discussion] [CLC Discussion] Fla. Stat. 558 Claim Endorsement

Fred Dudley dudley at mylicenselaw.com
Thu Apr 27 12:46:03 PDT 2017

Yes, it was a great argument (way to go, Kim, and Mark as well). However, my understanding is that such policy provisions are usually proposed by Office of Insurance Services (OIS), a national organization of underwriters, and that all terms of such insurance policies must be first approved by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR), including any "endorsements/riders" to approved policy forms.

As you recall, the 2015 statutory changes to Chapter 558 included an exception to the existing "no insurance claim" provision by adding "unless provided for in the policy." I seriously doubt OIS, as an industry organization, will ever propose a policy provision to make ALL 558 Notices of Claim trigger the insurer's duty to defend, since that would result in every policy having a claims history, and very likely an increase in approved premiums, neither of which are results our constructors, subs and suppliers would want to see.

Fred R. Dudley, Managing Member
Board Certified Construction Lawyer
Dudley, Sellers, Healy & Heath, P. L.L.C.
SunTrust Financial Center, Suite 301
3522 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32308
Cell: (850) 294-3471